Friday, August 04, 2006

Love the journey

Here's a picture from my morning walk:



It reminds me of a poem I love:

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Life's a journey, isn't it? It never stops, just flows forward even if we try to stand still. I love the wandering, the discovery, the potential.

I love the sense that everyone else is on a journey, too. It makes me delight in their discoveries and more patient with their foibles. Sometimes if a person displays ignorance or closed-mindedness, I'll think to myself, they've just not gotten to that part of their journey yet. And I can let them go their way without trying to persuade because I know their own journey will take them there.

And I love meeting people whose journey is so different than mine. Hearing their stories gives me a taste of their path without having to travel it. I talked with a young man yesterday with a young family who's following his dream of having a house on a farm. He's taking his chickens to the county fair this fall with his son, and next year they will show a cow. I could just picture this family there, happily building their memories together, living so close to the land. I'm so glad we met.

I think of all of us, you and me, as facing that path every day. Stepping forward into the light with a crisp breeze in our faces, taking strong strides toward progress and growth. Godspeed on your journey today!

Some thoughts on the path:

The discoverer of Christian Science finds the path less difficult when she has the high goal always before her thoughts, than when she counts her footsteps in endeavoring to reach it. When the destination is desirable, expectation speeds our progress.

-- Science and Health

The understanding, even in a degree, of the divine All-power destroys fear, and plants the feet in the true path, — the path which leads to the house built without hands "eternal in the heavens."

Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established. Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.

And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy teachers: And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

-- Psalms



Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 8/04/2006 11:42:00 PM, Anonymous rev. Veronika said...

Dear Laura,
I loved the photo so much! It reminded me of the woods around my home town Stuttgart.
I had to think of Peace Pilgrim when you chose 'journey' as your topic. What a wonderful journey she demonstrated! This made me grateful that mine isn't any faster even though I often catch myself getting impatient if a healing isn’t instant. But if there were always instant healings, there would be no steps about it to share.
Love, Veronika

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home