Thursday, August 03, 2006

How to experience abundance

Yesterday's prayers led me to this wonderful feeling of abundance.

Like most people, I have my stresses about money. Will I have enough? Am I worth enough? Do I deserve enough?

Yesterday, though, as I prayed with this Bible passage (which appears in this week's Bible Lesson), I got this wonderful sense of being "gifted":

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

"No variableness." I thought about my immediate circumstances. I have a home I love, work I love, family I love. That family in question is healthy and happy, every one doing their own thing and loving it. I got very specific in my gratitude yesterday, down to the detail that on that hot day, the hottest day so far of the heat wave, I had air-conditioned meetings all day. One meeting even provided a free meal.

I mean, what more could I ask for? Abundance is already here, all around me in my life. It exists *now.* Why wasn't I seeing it and experiencing it? The only thing that blocks my appreciation for what I have now is fear about the future. But does my fear change anything? No! The abundance is still here, and always will be. All my fear does is keep me from enjoying it.

So the answer is not to scramble around, trying to gather what I think I'll need for the future. The answer is to stop being so afraid. And since the Father of lights is omnipotent and infinite good, there is indeed no need to fear.

If I'm not afraid, I can experience abundance. I don't mean to say that lack of fear makes abundance happen. Abundance is already there. But I don't experience it when I'm afraid. In order to feel abundance, to recognize it, to embody it, fear has got to go. I can replace that fear with the recognition of the infinite good of Spirit. I don't have to fear for one moment more.

I love my abundance list. I may make it a part of my daily spiritual regimen. What a great kickoff to every day—to recognize and record everything abundant in our lives. It's only a thought away.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 8/03/2006 09:40:00 AM, Anonymous Jaswant said...

Thanks for reminding me to wipe away the fear this morning. I've just re-discovered my day...and I'm excited.

 
At 8/03/2006 11:14:00 PM, Anonymous rev. Veronika said...

I love to look at a tomatoe and see all its many seeds. I look at it in wonder because of its abundance. Just like this tomatoe, I too, have all these seeds in me which are bringing the fruits of the Spirit.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home