Friday, July 28, 2006

A patchwork quilt of inspiration

On this, my first full day of Laura-time (son at camp, daughter in Europe), I just want to share some words that have inspired me this week in my own spiritual travels.

From an address by Mary Baker Eddy in her work Miscellaneous Writings:

Do we yet understand how much better it is to be wronged, than to commit wrong? … May God give unto us all that loving sense of gratitude which delights in the opportunity to cancel accounts.

--Misc. Wr. p. 130 and 131

I can't claim to be totally living up to the standard she sets there, but it is an inspiring goal that I'm holding close.

Through toil, struggle, and sorrow, what do mortals attain? They give up their belief in perishable life and happiness; the mortal and material return to dust, and the immortal is reached.

--Science and Health

I love that passage, because it clarifies for me what I think the point of mortal struggle is. Why do bad things happen? So that we give up our belief in the perishable and embrace the immortal. There is no other reason for it. We're not being punished, we're not bringing it on ourselves—we just need to give up mortality, and the only way we'll do it is if mortality sucks. So… yay that it sucks. I do find that spiritual invigorating.

A little on the wilderness:

WILDERNESS. Loneliness; doubt; darkness. Spontaneity of thought and idea; the vestibule in which a material sense of things disappears, and spiritual sense unfolds the great facts of existence.

--Science and Health

for in the wilderness shall waters break out, and streams in the desert. And the parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water: in the habitation of dragons, where each lay, shall be grass with reeds and rushes. And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness;

--Isaiah

I've always had a tender place in my heart for spiritual wilderness—the wanderings we do to try to find ourselves and find meaning. And the Bible is assuring us that even in that wandering time, we're being watered. In the end, our wandering path itself becomes the highway that leads us to holiness. So let us wander as we need; we are being cared for, and the way is opening up.

And just this last thing, because I have a presentation to give today:

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

Hope this quilt of ideas is a comforter you can wrap in for the weekend. Have a great one, stay cool!


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home