Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Letter to my son at camp

(Perhaps I'll write this here, where he'll never see it.)

Dear Son,

Well, you finally made it there! After weeks of anticipation, you finally got on that plane and headed south. You were polite about saying goodbye to me, even let me hug you at the airport, but I could see your mind was on the adventure to come. And it made me glad.

This mother/son thing has always been amazing to me. There's an interesting tension between wanting to hold you close and wanting to see you fly. I'm realizing now that all the times I've been afraid for you, I've never been right. You've always been fine.

You're more than a little on your way now. Taller than me now, deeper voiced, with facial hair and the musculature of a man. Such an astonishing transition, which is really just the unfoldment of who you really are.

I guess (and I always knew this really) you never were actually that little baby boy. That was just the barest inkling of your complete identity. That adorable blue-eyed cuddly one was just a part you played, a character written for you by this appearance of mortal reality. Now there's so much more of you to enjoy, to talk with, to admire. Yet, even that is just an inkling of the man you'll become, and that too just scratches the surface of the spiritual identity created by the Divine.

You are divinely created. I'm so grateful I can't claim to be your creator, for heck, what did I know? I wouldn't have known how to begin to evolve someone as amazing as you. But God knew. God knows every detail of His creation of you, down to the last iota of goodness and grace. He knows who you are, and delights in you. God and I stand together, thrilled with who you are and the life you have.

I hope you'll always tell me your stories. I hope I always have a front row seat at your life. I won't get in your way. I'll just watch, and love.

Love,

Mom


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

5 Comments:

At 7/25/2006 08:41:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

oh i just LOVE this post. I think i'll copy it and send it to my son when he leaves for school ( ok really i am just kidding)

but the sentiment is beautifully expressed. and i am so glad that you wrote it.

love,

kim

 
At 7/26/2006 06:01:00 AM, Blogger Miki said...

Ditto!

Love
Miki

 
At 7/26/2006 10:50:00 AM, Blogger ie said...

it's great

your son must be a lucky person

 
At 7/28/2012 08:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have MS and often have trouble finding the right words. This letter was very inspiring to me to help find the right words to write to my son going off to summer camp. It's only for a week, but the longest I've ever been away from him is 4 days, this is 7. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

 
At 7/29/2012 05:14:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I'm so glad this posting was helpful to you. Your son will have a great time at camp. Think of the stories he'll have when he gets back!

Warmly,
Laura Matthews

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home