Monday, June 26, 2006

The value of weeping

On Saturday night, I had a group of women friends over. They didn’t know each other, but I knew they were all extraordinary and deep, and had much to share with one another. The conversation lasted over three hours. We laughed, we wept, we revealed, we healed.

I see a value in tears. The Bible speaks about them often, so here’s a little focused study on tears and their spiritual significance.

Thus saith the Lord, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee: --IIKings 20

Tears open your heart to healing. When we are at the end of our own resources, tears are how we admit that. They’re like the storm, after which is peace.

I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies. Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping. The Lord hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer. --Psalm 6

Tears are prayer. The private prayers with tears—in our beds, all night long—can only be sincere and deep. Divine Love hears these prayers, and fights for us.

My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God? When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: --Psalm 42

I love this “pour out my soul” concept. Tears pour out of us. All that we have goes into them. We are fully “in” the experience that makes us cry, and in those moments our spiritual sense unites with the human in compassionate yearning. It cannot leave us where it found us.

Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book? When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me. --Psalm 56

Divine Love bottles our tearful prayers, writes them in the book of Love. No tear is wasted. Such precious love our dear Father-Mother has for us, tenderly beside us, collecting even the expressions of our grief and comforting us.

Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them. Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools. They go from strength to strength, every one of them in Zion appeareth before God. --Psalm 84

The “valley of Baca” is translated to the “valley of weeping.” This is one of my favorite Bible passages. The weeping becomes a well, blessed water that baptizes us and quenches our thirst. The weeping causes us to go from strength to strength, undiminished and undefeated.

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him. --Psalm 126

Our tears even water the seeds of our experience, that the experience will bear fruit. What an amazing image, that of trudging along, heads to the ground, planting our tiny seeds of suffering and watering them with our tears, then returning to find a harvest of abundant growth and progress that both feeds and sustains us.

the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the Lord hath spoken it. And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the Lord; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation. --Isaiah 25

Divine Love assures us that our tears will be wiped away, will be as nothing. We will be taken away from this earthly experience to an existence that has no possibility of tears. All that will remain is the salvation of our God.

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. --Revelation 21

Here is what that perfect existence looks like, all things are become new. There is no death or pain or sorrow or crying. We purchase our entrance now with tears, with the agony of coming out of the cocoon of materiality as a butterfly struggles to come forth and become its true self. The struggle is not remembered, though, in the bright morning of our first flight.

So there is no shame in weeping. Weeping is Love’s open door into your heart.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 01:20:00 PM, Anonymous rev. veronika said...

Laura, thank you for the work you have put into this. I love it lots!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home