Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The lie of opposites

One of the clearest lessons I remember from my Christian Science class instruction days is the segment about the lie of opposites.

Basically, it’s the teaching that if you have one thing that fills all space and is eternal, you can’t have its opposite taking up any space or having any reality. There’s no yin/yang in Christian Science. Only the positive energy of Spirit has reality. It’s opposite, materiality, is transitory and ultimately unreal.

So when I come to this sentence in Science and Health, I’m struck again by the sheer logic of Mary Baker Eddy’s discovery:

God creates neither erring thought, mortal life, mutable truth, nor variable love.

I love that. Each one of these things is an oxymoron.

  • There is no mortal life. Ha! Yay! Take that, death.
  • There is no mutable, or changeable, truth. If it’s true, it’s always true.
  • Real love does not vary, either in object or degree.
  • And genuine thought created by God, a.k.a. idea, can make no mistake.

I’m dwelling with these concepts today.

Here are some more related passages:

Truth is immortal; error is mortal. Truth is limitless; error is limited. Truth is intelligent; error is non-intelligent. Moreover, Truth is real, and error is unreal. This last statement contains the point you will most reluctantly admit, although first and last it is the most important to understand. --p. 466

The temporal and unreal never touch the eternal and real. The mutable and imperfect never touch the immutable and perfect. The inharmonious and self-destructive never touch the harmonious and self-existent. These opposite qualities are the tares and wheat, which never really mingle, though (to mortal sight) they grow side by side until the harvest; then, Science separates the wheat from the tares, through the realization of God as ever present and of man as reflecting the divine likeness. --p. 300


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

3 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 03:32:00 PM, Blogger athos said...

Thanks, laura, this is very helpful. I am thinking along these lines because the son of a friend of mine has just died in a hiking accident.Since his life is, and always has been, immortal, he still lives...and God still loves him unconditionally, as He always has.

 
At 6/28/2006 09:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started having fun with the oxymorons (mortal life, etc.) esp. since a friend had sent me a long "joke" essay that was politically biased yesterday that offended me because it kept referring to certain archetypal Americans as "Total F--in Morons". I gave him a bit of lecture about that; he said, hey, it's funny, what's the big deal, and I point out that the claim of being humorous often conceals bigotry and hatred and lets them express themselves. An oxymoron about this would be, hmm, what? "Serious humor"? "Unfunny joke"? "Smiling Bigotry"?
-ObiDon

 
At 6/29/2006 07:36:00 PM, Anonymous rev. veronika said...

Here is what came to me after I had read your article:

God is my strength, in Him do I trust, I cannot fear what evil can do unto me.

Truth is my strength, in It do I trust, I cannot fear what error can do unto me.

Love is my strength, in It do I trust, I cannot fear what hate can do unto me.

Spirit is my strength, in It do I trust, I cannot fear what matter can do unto me.

Soul is my strength, in it do I trust, I cannot fear what body can do unto me.

Mind is my strength, in It do I trust, I cannot fear what minds can do unto me.

Life is my strength, in It do I trust, I cannot fear what death is doing unto me.

Principle is my strength, in It do I trust, I cannot fear anything for I am safely governed by Principle Which is All-in-all.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home