Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Good overwhelms

Just saw the snippet preview of Angelina Jolie on Anderson Cooper 360 (you can find the video on the CNN homepage under “Free Video”). The full show is on CNN tonight.

Of course I feel all the usual—respect for Angelina for using her fame to spotlight an enormous problem, despair at the overwhelming size of the problem, hopelessness about what I can do about it personally, faith in the power of prayer.

Africa sounds like a real mess, with incredible promise. And just writing that sentence has brought it to a manageable level for me. I know some young people I really love whom I could write the same thing about. And they’re coming out of their funk and into their own. It’s inexorable. Growing pains notwithstanding, the end successful result is clearly coming.

So can the same spiritual truths that apply to one individual’s spiritual growth apply to an entire continent? And what can we, as the “parents,” do to encourage that growth?

As a parent or mentor, what seems to be work best is to express unfailingly your faith in the person while clearly stating the standards. But also to get out of the way to let the person make their own choices about what they want to do with their lives.

This is where faith kicks in. To consistently and sincerely know in your heart and in your prayers of the undeniable goodness of whomever you’re praying for—be it a toddler, a college student, or a continent. To know that the truly overwhelming aspect of all this is the goodness that is there. The love of families, the bonds of community. The inherent goodness will overmaster the problems. Good cannot fail.

Science and Health states, “The way to extract error from mortal mind is to pour in truth through flood-tides of Love.” I guess I generally have thought that this means I have to myself produce the flood-tides of Love to wash away the problem. Yet now, with this insight about goodness, I’m thinking the flood-tides are already there.

Goodness and Love exist in Africa as well as here as well as everywhere in the universe. They flood time and space and need little assistance from me. My role is to see it here, there and everywhere.

The problem is not overwhelming, but already overwhelmed—by good. Now let us act accordingly.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 6/20/2006 10:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always get something good to take away from your daily blogs. Thanks!
ObiDon

 
At 6/20/2006 01:44:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I hope one day the western world will be as knowledgeable about Africa's riches as it is about its problems.
There is a level of compassion, purity, hospitality, commitment to nursing one another, a deep seated and settled spirituality and receptivity to Truth that I seen with the number of Africans I have known that is not commonplace in the US.
Africa has a lot to teach us if we are humble enough to learn.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home