Friday, May 05, 2006

Relationships evolve

Today I’m traveling. We’re in St. Louis checking out a well-known private school for my son for next year.

I’m having mixed feelings. It would be a great opportunity for him, yet then he’d be gone. With my daughter at college, that means I’d be more or less empty-nesting four years ahead of schedule. Which appeals to my concept of efficiency, but it still tugs at my heart.

Relationships evolve, don’t they? And sometimes you’d like them to stand still. I think what’s going on really is the continual unfoldment of our perception of reality. Reality is so infinite, if we stay at one place too long we’d miss something.

If I am the infinite expression of the one Spirit, and everyone I’m relating to is the infinite expression of the one Spirit, there’s always going to be new things to discover about them and myself. New good things, because Spirit is all good. Limitations drop away as we learn more about each other. The human concept of time makes us think of this as change, when in fact, in the now, it’s all already done.

Now we are whole. Now we are infinite. I ask myself, what part of now will be revealed today?

With the kids especially, I’ve always known I saw more about them than they did. Meaning, mother love allowed me to see greatness and potential all the time even when there were character issues to confront or growth to encourage. What is mother love but the ability to see through the limitations to total goodness? That’s as good a definition of unconditional love as any.

I yearn for them to see what I see about themselves. Gradually, more and more becomes plain and they start to realize what I always knew was there. (I know I’m rambling a bit. Transitions always do that to me. I think in circles until it all falls into place.)

Well, he’s not gone yet. There’s still a lot to do if he is going to go to school here. This first big step, the campus visit, is just one in a series. Yet that moment looms, as it did with my daughter, the day when he leaves home and I know rapid, enormous growth is inevitable.

And I wouldn’t want anything else.



Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 5/08/2006 07:18:00 AM, Blogger joy said...

Here's just a very big hug for you Laura - huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
I loved what you wrote.
From Joy

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home