Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Moving mountains and filling valleys with peace

Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:

Yesterday I was thinking about those mountains and valleys. Does your life ever look this way, like a huge sine wave?

One minute you’re up, the next you’re down. The up times seem like such a good idea—it’s great to feel on top of the world like that. But then there’s the down times, where it’s a struggle to stay positive and buoyant.

These days, I’m more attracted to the steadiness of a plain gentle slope upward. Something like this:

Nothing too fancy, just steady progress.

How to maintain this gentle upwardness without slipping into the sine wave? For me, the best way is to cultivate a sense of peace. True peace.

Peace to me is more than just static inactivity where nothing happens. Peace is not just the absence of conflict. To me, peace is active confidence that all is well. It’s a joy and certainty that divine Mind is in control and I can align with it.

Peace is like the gimbaled compass on a boat that stays true to gravity no matter how the waves toss and turn. Unaffected by turbulence, peace continues on, straight as an arrow, true to itself.

Personally, I need a daily realignment with the ideas that bring me peace. If I go too long between conscious contemplation of spiritual truth, my life begins to be affected by the turbulence around me. But when I say spiritually “gimbaled,” so to speak, the waves can crash all they like. I move through them with equanimity.

The up and down motion now is a clue to me that I’ve got to regroup. I don’t care how great the highs are, I’m more inclined now to avoid the extremes. What I want is constant, steady, reliable peace rather than the rollercoaster of mortal existence.

Peace today. My hope is that it touches all of us.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home