Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Just keep moving

My friend Travis has an excellent entry on his blog today: Just Keep Moving (thanks Trav, I stole your title). He relates how spiritual healing helped him with a recent neck injury, and how part of his discipline to effect the healing was to keep moving.

I love the spiritual concept he’s explaining. It’s worked for me a bunch of times. I just want to share one of these times, actually the first time I employed this idea when needing healing.

Many years ago, I developed a twinge in my hip. It hurt whenever I walked. It would zing a little and make me favor that side. I tried to take it easy, but I had a job where there was a lot of standing and sitting and walking involved.

As I remember it, the key spiritual idea that helped me was the conviction that my thought governs my body, not the other way around. Indeed, it was my thought in alignment with divine Mind that truly enacts harmony, in every instance. Science and Health states: “Experiments have favored the fact that Mind governs the body, not in one instance, but in every instance.”

I was at a place in my spiritual journey where reasoning things through helped clarify things. So, I reasoned away. If Mind governs the body, then it’s Mind that tells the body how it feels and how it can perform. And Mind knows no limits or impairments. Mind sees me as its own idea, whole and perfect. Mind knew nothing of the twinge. I was free to live according to Mind’s knowledge, meaning, I didn’t have to accommodate something that Mind didn’t even know about.

I resolved to stop favoring my hip and to move about normally no matter what. I remember starting to straighten up as I walked, and again moving with evenness and freedom. I didn’t cave in or lean to one side when I felt the twinge, but, as Travis says, I just kept moving.

It was a great feeling to pull myself up this way. I felt a sense of stature, of dominion. I walked with Mind, standing tall. I was on top of this problem, with Mind.

In a few days the twinge was gone, but the discipline remained. I call on this discipline often. I use it on twinges, sniffles, bonks, you name it.

It seems to me that mortality and carnal beliefs will try to creep into our lives first with twinges. We wonder if something’s wrong, but we don’t do much about it. The twinge develops into an ache or a pain. We become frightened. We start to believe in its reality. And then we have something larger (in belief) to deal with.

But what if we cut it off at the pass? If we stand tall as soon as it shows up, shaking our heads and saying, “Not today.” The twinge will yield. It can’t help but do so in the face of Mind’s correct assessment.

Just keep moving. Excellent strategy.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 6/03/2006 02:28:00 AM, Blogger Miki said...

Thanks for this, Laura - I found this very helpful and will certainly apply your reasoning to a chronic back problem which wants to be real!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home