Friday, May 12, 2006

How does your best friend see you?

I had the joy of spending a weekend with my best friend lately. We’ve been friends since my tenth grade, but hadn’t seen each other in, golly, several years I think. Clearly it had been too long. We live on opposite coasts and the opportunity doesn’t arise often enough.

The total unconditional love we feel for each other bears no explanation. We’ve never been able to figure it out. We’re very different, yet we simply just adore each other.

And it got me thinking. What if I went through the day thinking of myself the way my friend thinks of me? With just wholehearted approval, never-ending patience and genuine affection? Can I even stand to think of myself that way?

Think of your best friend. How does that person see you? You know, how they look at you ready to share a joke or a memory, interested in the minutiae of your life, always giving you the benefit of the doubt and trusting that your higher self will win the day.

What an amazing gift a friend like that is. They’re the ones in our lives who see with the eyes of divine Love. To me, it’s a direct manifestation of God’s love for me, to be gifted with such a friend. I like to think I’m her gift in return.

So for the weekend, I’m going to change my own perspective. I’m going to see myself as she sees me. I’m going to walk through the world head held high, knowing that if she sees it, it must be there. I’m going to finally give myself some credit for being the person she sees.

Here are some further thoughts on friends.

One marvels that a friend can ever seem less than beautiful.

--Science and Health

Hast thou a friend, and forgettest to be grateful?

--Mary Baker Eddy, Miscellaneous Writings 339:23-24

Strongest deliverer, friend of the friendless,
Life of all being divine:
Thou the Christ, and not the creed;
Thou the Truth in thought and deed;
Thou the water, the bread, and the wine.

--Communion Hymn

And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.

--Exodus


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

2 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 06:05:00 PM, Anonymous rev. Veronika said...

Dear Laura,
What a lovely encounter for you!
Yes, I feel like this when a practitioner prays for me. And because it feels so good I am encouraged to do likewise.

 
At 5/14/2006 08:26:00 AM, Anonymous Uwe said...

What a beautiful thought!
Thank you for it!
Uwe

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home