Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hope springs

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

I noticed something else when watching the movie United 93 over the weekend, and that is the quality of hope. (I wrote about this movie yesterday as well.)

Even though I knew the end of the story, I still hoped throughout that they would right the plane and survive. This feeling of hope did not leave me even when survival was clearly impossible. I kept thinking, if only they can get the cockpit, or if only that one experienced pilot could get his hands on the controls.

And it made me realize how much I rely on hope to get through the day. If I only went on how things appeared to be going, I would quickly curl up in despair. There are constant challenges to overcome and limitations to break through. Without hope, I wouldn’t even try.

So today I’m grateful that hope exists. Hope allows me to change my expectations from negative to positive. Hope gives me the strength to start fresh each day. Hope lets me think well of others even when they don’t think well of themselves.

I’m not sure I agree entirely with Pope’s sentiment at the beginning of this posting. Blessing isn’t some distant thing, but a present reality. Hope opens our hearts to blessing as an open window lets in the spring breeze. So I do believe this: Hope springs eternal.

Here are some passages containing hope:

And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee. --Psalm 39:7

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. --Psalm 42:11

Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man. For thou art my hope, O Lord God: thou art my trust from my youth. --Psalm 71:4,5

Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God: --Psalm 146:5

For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. --Romans 8:24,25

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. --I John 3:2,3

As human thought changes from one stage to another of conscious pain and painlessness, sorrow and joy, — from fear to hope and from faith to understanding, — the visible manifestation will at last be man governed by Soul, not by material sense. --Science and Health 125:12-16

Life, Truth, and Love are the realities of divine Science. They dawn in faith and glow full-orbed in spiritual understanding. As a cloud hides the sun it cannot extinguish, so false belief silences for a while the voice of immutable harmony, but false belief cannot destroy Science armed with faith, hope, and fruition. --Science and Health 298:2

Spiritual sense, contradicting the material senses, involves intuition, hope, faith, understanding, fruition, reality. --Science and Health 298:13-15

DOVE. A symbol of divine Science; purity and peace; hope and faith. --Science and Health 584:26

From Brood O'er Us

Thou to whose power our hope we give,
Free us from human strife.
Fed by Thy love divine we live,
For Love alone is Life;
And life most sweet, as heart to heart
Speaks kindly when we meet and part.

From Mother's Evening Prayer

O make me glad for every scalding tear,
For hope deferred, ingratitude, disdain!
Wait, and love more for every hate, and fear
No ill, — since God is good, and loss is gain.

From In Heavenly Love Abiding

Green pastures are before me,
Which yet I have not seen;
Bright skies will soon be o'er me,
Where darkest clouds have been.
My hope I cannot measure,
My path in life is free;
My Father has my treasure,
And He will walk with me.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home