Thursday, May 25, 2006

Angel creatures

Despite the title of her entry, Red Fork Hippie Chick wrote about birds yesterday: Frog Songs. I woke up thinking about birds.

This time of year, birds are my alarm clock. This morning at dawn the cacophony started. First there’s one lonely chirp off in the distance, then another. Then the twitters begin. Then the caws. Soon an entire symphony greets my ears. The loveliness of all that life and activity and joy braces my mornings no matter what was on my mind as I drifted off to sleep the night before.

And, they are a constant presence. I placed a bird feeder strategically outside my office window, and I can see them swooping down and fighting over the seeds all day long. Their antics often make me laugh. Combine that with the squirrel who I think I’ve finally outwitted but who still keeps trying, and my day is filled with moments of glee that I couldn’t get anywhere else. Here are some pictures, just for fun.










This reminds me of a time in Los Angeles, when I was feeling very lonely and low. My desk at that time faced a window that looked out on a tree between my building and the one right next door, about fifteen feet away. I had been trying to pray, but the words on the pages of the books had no meaning. I was lost in a blank space.

As I stared out the window at the leaves, suddenly a hummingbird appeared. It came right to my window and pointed its little snout right at me. Hovering there, no more than two feet away, it hummed at me, allowing me a good long look at its ruffous feathers but no glance at its ever-active wings. I began to laugh with delight. Once it saw I was happy again, it flew off.

It struck me that I’d just been visited by an angel. I grabbed the books before me and looked up birds and related words to see what I would find (all from Science and Health).

God is the Life, or intelligence, which forms and preserves the individuality and identity of animals as well as of men. --550:5-7

Genesis i. 20. And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

… Spiritually interpreted, rocks and mountains stand for solid and grand ideas. … The fowls, which fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven, correspond to aspirations soaring beyond and above corporeality to the understanding of the incorporeal and divine Principle, Love.

Genesis i. 21. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Spirit is symbolized by strength, presence, and power, and also by holy thoughts, winged with Love. These angels of His presence, which have the holiest charge, abound in the spiritual atmosphere of Mind, and consequently reproduce their own characteristics. Their individual forms we know not, but we do know that their natures are allied to God's nature; and spiritual blessings, thus typified, are the externalized, yet subjective, states of faith and spiritual understanding. --511:19-16

Genesis i. 25. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

God creates all forms of reality. His thoughts are spiritual realities. … Mind, joyous in strength, dwells in the realm of Mind. Mind's infinite ideas run and disport themselves. In humility they climb the heights of holiness.

Moral courage is "the lion of the tribe of Juda," the king of the mental realm. Free and fearless it roams in the forest. Undisturbed it lies in the open field, or rests in "green pastures, . . . beside the still waters." In the figurative transmission from the divine thought to the human, diligence, promptness, and perseverance are likened to "the cattle upon a thousand hills." They carry the baggage of stern resolve, and keep pace with highest purpose. Tenderness accompanies all the might imparted by Spirit. …

All of God's creatures, moving in the harmony of Science, are harmless, useful, indestructible. --513:22-515:10

My angels are exalted thoughts, appearing at the door of some sepulchre, in which human belief has buried its fondest earthly hopes. With white fingers they point upward to a new and glorified trust, to higher ideals of life and its joys. Angels are God's representatives. These upward-soaring beings never lead towards self, sin, or materiality, but guide to the divine Principle of all good, whither every real individuality, image, or likeness of God, gathers. By giving earnest heed to these spiritual guides they tarry with us, and we entertain "angels unawares." --299:7

If living creatures are the “angels of His presence,” and angels are divine messengers, then my little hummingbird friend flitted by to tell me something. And I got the message—joy rather than depression, soaring aspirations rather than despair. It put me back on track.

What are the creatures in your life telling you today? Right now the blue jay is taking his prize from the feeder up to my roof and hammering it open with his beak. I hear his “ponk ponk ponk” throughout the day, a constant reminder of my feathered companions. And I smile, knowing I’m being visited by angels.


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 5/25/2006 08:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura -

Thanks for your wonderful post about birds. I have three birdfeeders in my yard -- two with seeds and one with sugar water for the hummingbirds. We have quail and finches and robins and various sparrows at this time of year, and it is a joy to see them all congregate. As I watch them enjoy their food, I am reminded of the passage from Matthew 6:26 that reads:

"Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?"

This is a wonderful reminder of God's ever-present care whenever I am tempted to question my supply or fear for the future. I had never really thought of birds as angel messengers until I read your post -- thanks again!

Sandy

 
At 5/26/2006 09:50:00 AM, Anonymous Emily said...

My dogs seem to serve as angel-messengers the way your hummingbird did. If I seem too absorbed in my work, my collie mix is at my elbow, shoving his snout between my wrist and my desk to knock my hand away from the computer and force me to take a break to pet him. If I'm curled up in bed, feeling sorry for myself about something, my rat terrier is there with her ball, stretching up on her back legs to stand on tiptoe and swat me in the face with a paw until I play with her. If I ignore her, she "talks" -- a funny little warbling sound somewhere between a growl, a howl, and a yodel -- until I pay attention. And my gentle greyhound simply seeks out whoever seems to need him most and lavishes attention on that person, kissing, nuzzling, and rubbing against the person's legs like a cat until he gets a smile and a scratch behind the ears.

I love animals. They're such pure, obvious reflections of divine Love.

 
At 5/27/2006 09:40:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

ooh - you're talking my language here! don't know what i would do without the presence of animals. my dog - goofy combination of unconditional love bounding energy and drool --- to our wild birds - herons, loons, morning doves that bookend the day .... and on and on....

oh - used to have an yellow necked amazon (parrot) when i hitchhiked through Central America -- God's sense of humor/angel messages in feathers indeed!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home