Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Spiritual healing: Why?

I often get the question, or hear that my friends get the question, Why do you use spiritual healing?

As you can tell from this blog, I’m a Christian Scientist. Part of practicing this Science is learning how to rely on spiritual Truth for physical wellbeing. It’s not a some kind of test of devotion or denying myself anything good in the name of religious doctrine. It’s actually an entirely positive decision. So today, I wanted to share some reasons why I find this practice so great, and why I continue to use it even when simple physical solutions might be available.

No side effects. Relying on spiritual healing doesn’t entail any physical side-effects. We hear in every drug ad on TV how the person using the drug can expect all kinds of peripheral effects. If spiritual healing has any side effects, they’re entirely positive. Meaning, I become a better person along with being healed.

Moves you toward Spirit. Learning spiritual Truth and applying it to your life puts you on the path toward increased understanding. I love this element to healing. I cherish the lessons I’ve learned, and they only make me want to learn more. Because I’ve gained so much from healing, well beyond physical cure, I’m more confident every time.

You learn something. Each spiritual healing I experience adds to my reservoir of spiritual understanding. I remember the spiritual lessons long after the memory of the physical problem has faded, and I build on them continually.

You become a better person. Achieving spiritual healing doesn’t just fix you physically, it also develops you morally and spiritually. It smoothes the rough edges of character and gives a deeper perspective of goodness and love. When you become confident of God’s love for you, you are more able to love others.

You can face everything head on. The more you see results from spiritual healing, the more confidence you have about facing anything life throws your way. It’s not just about physical wellbeing, but also mental, emotional, financial. You gain the courage to work through all problems, from relationships to jobs to world events. You find that nothing is beyond the reach of prayer.

It’s preventative. Spiritual healing as part of ongoing spiritual practice and discipline prevents disease as well as curing it. I walk through the world with the assumption of health. Sickness for me is the anomaly. I believe I’ve been blessed in untold ways because of the safety provided through Christian Science.

I could go on and on. The important point to me is that relying on spiritual healing isn’t denying myself anything. It’s embracing something that’s so good for me, so wholesome, so uplifting, that it wouldn’t even occur to me to choose something else or to give it up.

If you practice spiritual healing, what means the most to you?

If you’re curious about it, what questions do you have?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 4/11/2006 07:35:00 PM, Anonymous rev. Veronika said...

Dear Laura,
What you have written is also part of my experience. Thank you for putting it down so clearly. I would like to add what I have written today as an insight which is only a small part of my ‘spiritual practice:’

FORGIVENESS

A close relationship like marriage is what I like to call a ‘growth group.’
It gives countless opportunities to practice what I am learning spiritually.
I often come up against some difficulty and it stares me in the face and looks like some big insurmountable mountain. Then I remember something I have worked with or experienced on the spiritual level of Truth. Now, I recognise that Truth is there to be used and demonstrated which I do. Like, I can see that whenever I have judged, I have been merciless. unkind and unloving. This is why I suffer. From the lower mind (mortal mind) I would first of all like to blame the other for my unhappy state. But with the above insight, I know that I need to let go of the whole ‘mountain’ and forgive myself for having forgotten this important rule of non-judgment and pick myself up and keep going, that is, just try to do better next time because I do want peace in my life. Amen.
Love, Veronika

 
At 4/11/2006 11:20:00 PM, Anonymous Emily said...

I have been learning a lot from a friend of mine who is a practitioner and teacher, and a couple of weeks ago, I experienced several small but remarkable healings in the span of a few days.

When I saw my friend at church last Wednesday night, I told him I felt I was finally getting the hang of what he has been trying to tell me. "But," I added, "you didn't tell me this was gonna be so much FUN!"

And it really is. Some aspects of Christian Science come naturally to me, and I understand them instinctively. But I still struggle with some issues, and when I get a handle on one, it's exciting -- like getting the right answer to a difficult problem in math class. I love it when a solution unfolds before me in such a clear and beautiful way that there's no denying that Love is at work.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home