Friday, April 07, 2006

Scare yourself every day

Kids Discover, a magazine I originally subscribed to because I have kids, remains one of my favorite reading adventures. My kids have long since stopped reading them, but I go through each one cover to cover and they’re all saved on magazine racks downstairs in anticipation of grandchildren someday.

The April 2006 issue is on the Depression. It includes a fabulous quote from Eleanor Roosevelt:

Do one thing every day that scares you.

This reminds me of the question I often challenge myself with: What would I do if there were no fear? (I wrote about this way back when in Litany against fear.)

I still use that question all the time. It clarifies things for me. In fact, being afraid itself is like a dare to me—the issue instantly becomes something I want to blow through with spiritual power.

Not that I’m never afraid. I’m afraid all the time. Of walking in to a room full of strangers, of putting my foot in my mouth, of showing my impatience too much, of running out of resources, of losing the love of people close to me. But there’s always a higher right, a worthy task to do, or an uplifted outlook that makes whatever I need to do worthwhile.

I walked into a room full of strangers yesterday. It was a networking meeting for my writing/editing business, and I didn’t know a soul in the room. There’s always a flutter as I navigate to a new location and walk in the door to a new building. What will happen? Will this be worth it? Will anyone notice me or like me?

Yet time and time again I remind myself that we're all children of the same divine Parent. Everyone in that room is already a brother or sister, I'm just now meeting them for the first time. So what is there to fear? There's always a spiritual truth or two that encourages me to take the plunge, no matter what the issue is. If I didn't blow through my fear, I'd do nothing.

So I plaster that smile on my face and go in gamely, business cards in one hand and the other outstretched to shake. And that scary hoard becomes one after the other of nice people. Just nice people also there to promote their businesses and connect. I left with a fistful of cards and appointments, and even one new client.

What scares you today? Go do it!

Have a great weekend!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 4/07/2006 06:23:00 PM, Anonymous Rev. Veronika said...

Let love rule. There is nothing to fear except fear. Fear is your enemy and the last to be overthrown. Have no fear. Resign all to the wisdom and the love embodied in divine law. Do your best. Be true and sincere and loving in your human relationships. Let love rule your heart and life.
(THE QUIET MIND - Sayings of White Eagle)

This came to me after I read your article.
Love, Veronika

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home