Friday, April 21, 2006

Instruments of Love

Here’s something I’ve been wanting to share for a few weeks: Real Life ‘Crash’ in LA. It’s a great story from a CNN correspondent about the perpetrator and the victim of a long-ago crime meeting and becoming friends. (The “crash” reference is to the new movie, Crash, which won the Best Film Academy Award this year.)

And today I’d like to say a few words about friendship.

Somewhere along the way as a life-long Christian Scientist, I’d gotten the impression that I was supposed to “go it alone.” Meaning, when I had problems to face, I needed to work it out privately with God, and not rely on human support. Also, I avoided learning whether my fellow beings were in trouble, assuming the best thing was for them to work it out themselves as well. It became sort of a badge of honor that I was strong enough to handle everything myself, and I didn’t get entangled in other people’s lives.

But it was lonely.

I’ve changed a great deal from this stance in recent years. Here and there along the way, as I grew closer to God, I could see that now and then He was actually sending other people to be a comfort to me. It wasn’t often the same person, and I didn’t get that one special person to have in my life permanently, but too frequently to discount there were times when I needed help and the help appeared in the form of the loving acts of a friend.

So I began to keep my own radar on, to be at the ready to give a word of encouragement or a helping hand when needed. I began to notice more when others were sending the signal that something was on their minds. I began to voice the positive things that came to me where I might have kept silent before. I’ve also become more open about when I need help. This hasn’t scared away my friends like I thought it would—instead, they too are more than willing to be the instruments of Love in my life as I’ve been for them.

There is a symphony of Love being orchestrated by Spirit every moment. And we are the instruments on which Love is playing. It’s a song that fills every nook and cranny of human loneliness with divine comfort. Who needs to hear that song today? Let the melody flow through you today.

Check out A Friend in need as well for something I wrote a while back.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 4/24/2006 08:28:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

i can really relate to the "go it alone" mentally.

so happy to see that that is in the past
AND so happy to have you as a friend in my own journey!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home