Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday / He is Risen

Today the weekend begins with the anniversary of Jesus’ crucifixion. I’d like to share an article I wrote some time ago, at the opening of the movie “The Passion of the Christ”: My moment of grace at The Passion. (It’s a PDF page, and may take a few moments to open.) I still think it’s a great movie, and I’m renting it soon to watch with my son.

Also, this page on my Website has some other PDF articles of mine from days gone past, feel free to browse.

With all the emphasis today on the crucifixion though, I’d also like to weigh in on the wondrous glory of Easter. To me, some of the greatest words in the English language are “He is Risen.” (Here’s an entry from last May about it.) I love sharing this greeting with those for whom it resonates. It’s such a glorious fact: the Master overcame death by resurrection.

Some thoughts from Science and Health:

What a contrast between our Lord's last supper and his last spiritual breakfast with his disciples in the bright morning hours at the joyful meeting on the shore of the Galilean Sea! His gloom had passed into glory, and his disciples' grief into repentance, — hearts chastened and pride rebuked. Convinced of the fruitlessness of their toil in the dark and wakened by their Master's voice, they changed their methods, turned away from material things, and cast their net on the right side. Discerning Christ, Truth, anew on the shore of time, they were enabled to rise somewhat from mortal sensuousness, or the burial of mind in matter, into newness of life as Spirit.

This spiritual meeting with our Lord in the dawn of a new light is the morning meal which Christian Scientists commemorate. They bow before Christ, Truth, to receive more of his reappearing and silently to commune with the divine Principle, Love. They celebrate their Lord's victory over death, his probation in the flesh after death, its exemplification of human probation, and his spiritual and final ascension above matter, or the flesh, when he rose out of material sight.

--34:29-18

So when I think about the last supper, the betrayal, the trial, the crucifixion, the death, I think also with expectancy of glory, resurrection, a stone rolled away, the morning meal, and eternal Life. It all has meaning.

Happy Good Friday—He is Risen.

p.s. Kim's blog entry today is great, too!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

2 Comments:

At 4/14/2006 06:07:00 PM, Anonymous rev. Veronika said...

Dear Laura,
Here is a contribution to the cross:

 I saw the Light.
 In it the cross.
 I looked and saw
 Only Love
 The Love of Christ
 For all.

 I saw the Light
 In it a door
 To eternal Life.

 I saw the Light
 And knew
 That I AM
 The Light.

 
At 4/15/2006 07:51:00 AM, Blogger Kiran Paranjape said...

I can't help but remember this prayer from vedas, sacred texts of ancient hindu mythology.
I hope you will like this.

asato maa sad gamaya
tamaso maa jyotir gamaya
mrutyor maa mrutam gamay
om shaantih shaantih shaantih

From Untruth lead us to Truth.
From Darkness lead us to Light.
From Death lead us to Immortality.
Om Peace, Peace, Peace.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home