Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Wisdom

Today it’s time to share a Weblog I find inspiring: this one by Kiran Paranjape. It’s translations of Sanskrit quotes, with commentary. (Scroll past the Google ads to see the content.)

I find something peaceful about reading words of ancient wisdom. Humankind has been exploring meaning and inspiration for millennia. There have been wise and centered men and women before me, and there will be more after me. I just sometimes wonder what I need to do to become one of them.

I wonder too if the men and women who left us this rich legacy of inspired words *felt* wise while they were going through the experiences that made them wise. Because I so seldom feel wise about what I’m going through at the moment. It’s when I look back, sometimes from quite a distance, that I can see the wisdom I gained.

So here are a few thoughts from Science and Health on experience and wisdom. They are comforting me today.


Progress is born of experience.

--296:4 (only)

God is not separate from the wisdom He bestows. The talents He gives we must improve.

--6:5-7

To hold yourself superior to sin, because God made you superior to it and governs man, is true wisdom.

--231:20-21

Each succeeding year unfolds wisdom, beauty, and holiness.

--246:25

All substance, intelligence, wisdom, being, immortality, cause, and effect belong to God. These are His attributes, the eternal manifestations of the infinite divine Principle, Love. No wisdom is wise but His wisdom; no truth is true, no love is lovely, no life is Life but the divine; no good is, but the good God bestows.

--275:14

No mortal mind has the might or right or wisdom to create or to destroy. All is under the control of the one Mind, even God.

--544:14-17

At all times and under all circumstances, overcome evil with good. Know thyself, and God will supply the wisdom and the occasion for a victory over evil.

--571:15-18


The Serenity Prayer is also coming to mind today. I’ll post it in full because I always forget there’s a second section that’s just as powerful as the first.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

And the page I got that from also has this verse from the Bible:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.

--Proverbs 3, 5-6


So that’s my meditation for this morning. Blessed day, everyone!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

2 Comments:

At 3/07/2006 08:57:00 AM, Anonymous Marc said...

Hi Laura

and a wonderful meditation for all facing some sort of challenge on this day!!!

 
At 3/07/2006 10:39:00 PM, Anonymous Emily said...

One of my personal favorite sources of wisdom is Richard Bach. I like this quote of his:

"The biggest reason you don't get answers is that you haven't asked the questions."

And:

"Your highest right knows all futures. Listen to its whisper and find that the prize ahead is your own greatest happiness."

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home