Friday, March 03, 2006

Who deserves it?

This week has been a lot about my networking activities, because I’ve been on a week-long marathon of no less than 5 meetings (4 at 7am, 1 at lunch). So I got to do one of my favorite things, which is to meet a bunch of new people.

Each meeting has what’s known as a “networking educational moment.” Yesterday’s up in Marlborough was inspiring. The speaker quoted William James. Here’s what she told me afterward:

I was cleaning out a desk drawer and found this little piece of stiff paper, almost like a cereal box or something, I had cut out some time ago and saved: "The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind."

(James, of course, is one of the guys featured in the book The Metaphysical Club, which I read some time ago.)


She then went on to discuss changing our attitude of mind to support our businesses. And she said, “Tell yourself every day that all your prospective customers *deserve* to hear about your business.”

I loved that! And for me it connected right away with sharing spiritual truth.

Like a lot of people I know, sometimes it’s hard for me to talk about spirituality at first, because I’m not sure how it will be received. Usually before I really get into it, I try to feel the person out, and to get them to admit to some aspect of being on the spiritual journey before I’ll dive in.

But that phrase, “they *deserve* to hear about it” has stuck with me. Who doesn’t deserve to know they are creations of the Divine, they hold within themselves the kingdom of heaven, they have all they need already to be happy, whole, and inspired? Knowing that, how dare I withhold it?

There’s a passage in the Bible I’ve thought about lately:

Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.

--Proverbs

Sometimes I’ve read “to whom it is due” as meaning I needed to figure out if they deserved it or not. Today, though, I’m realizing *everyone* deserves it. So, who can I bless today?



p.s., If you have time, don't miss the comments regarding yesterday's post. Fascinating thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 3/04/2006 05:56:00 AM, Blogger Kiran Paranjape said...

I entirely agree. To be successful, one has to develop a righ attitude & mindset that is so characteristic of successful people.

 
At 3/05/2006 08:30:00 PM, Blogger Franklin said...

Perhaps the person "to whom it is due" is any person who is in need of a blessing.

Such as the person that the good samaritian helped when others would not give help, even though it was obvious the man needed help or to be blessed by someone.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home