Monday, March 20, 2006

Truth and trustworthiness

I love this response to my posting on Friday:

Kiran Paranjape said...

Excellent post.
This concept is known to me. Ancient vedantic scriptures ask us to put our absolute faith in god which described as all-pervading truth of the universe. If somebody trusts me its my trust in god which comes back to me through that person.


Boy, has that gotten me thinking.


I used to think that trustworthiness comes from *my* being honest, or from people being able to rely on *me.* Kiran’s comment has shined the light for me on something I’d never considered: it’s my trust in God that makes me trustworthy.


People can rely on me when I’m relying on God. In fact, they should *only* rely on me when I’m relying on God.


This is huge for me, since I’m self-reliant to a fault. I’ve always felt *I* have to get things done, *I* have to make things right. And I’ve been disappointed in others who are “unreliable” because I’ve expected or demanded that they do things they couldn't or wouldn't do. When I instead rely on God, the whole equation changes.


Now, I’m reading these passages from Mary Baker Eddy with new eyes:


In Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and English, faith and the words corresponding thereto have these two definitions, trustfulness and trustworthiness. One kind of faith trusts one's welfare to others. Another kind of faith understands divine Love and how to work out one's "own salvation, with fear and trembling." "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief!" expresses the helplessness of a blind faith; whereas the injunction, "Believe ... and thou shalt be saved!" demands self-reliant trustworthiness, which includes spiritual understanding and confides all to God.

--23:21


Trustworthiness is the foundation of enlightened faith. Without a fitness for holiness, we cannot receive holiness.

--15:30


Good Lord, I’m finally seeing… I always thought I was trustworthy, but now I realize I’ve been more in the trustfulness camp, meaning I’ve been trusting my welfare to others, and wanting them to trust their welfare to me. I’ve been allowing what others do or say or not do or say to affect my wellbeing, and been thinking that I have the same power over them. At least I’ve mostly wanted to do good, but even still, I need instead to see that God is the source of all good, not me. “Self-reliant trustworthiness,” Eddy says, includes “spiritual understanding and confides all to God.” All to God!


And then in the second passage above, Eddy is linking trustworthiness to holiness. Wow.


This is much food for thought. Truth is the Rock, and upon this Rock we must build our Church. (I have an important church meeting tonight, so this is even better timing.)


I’m so grateful to be drawing closer to the concept of Truth these days. It’s been an elusive concept for me, but is becoming clearer.

p.s. thanks, Mommy, too, for “Thou art Truth’s honest child…” it’s singing in my heart.

p.p.s. to my subscribers: occasionally bloglet will have a glitch that prevents the email notification from going out. You should get notices Tuesday through Saturday about my postings Monday through Friday. If you ever miss a day, please feel free to let me know and I’ll check the bloglet settings.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home