Thursday, March 16, 2006

Set the Sabbath feature

Inspiration is everywhere, at least for me. I’m finally reading the instruction manual of the Kenmore oven I got last summer, and there it is: the Sabbath feature.

Once the oven is properly set using Bake with the Sabbath feature active, the oven will remain continuously ON until cancelled. This will override the factory preset 12-Hour Energy Saving feature.

If the oven light will be needed during the Sabbath, press the button on the keypad before activating the Sabbath feature. Once the oven light is turned ON and the Sabbath feature is active, the oven light will remain ON until the Sabbath feature is turned OFF. If the oven light needs to be OFF, be sure to turn the oven light OFF before activating the Sabbath feature.

You get the idea. I love that the oven literally can’t be turned back on if the power goes off while it’s set for the Sabbath, nor do any but three of the buttons work. The manual also references the Star-K.org site, which I’m enjoying browsing through. Especially this page of personal “keeping kosher” stories.

So I’m now thinking, what does Sabbath mean to me? I’m very far from keeping the Sabbath in any traditional sense, although I do teach Sunday school every week. Is there more to it, could I do more with it? You’ll recall my friend Steve said keeping the Sabbath was one of the most meaningful parts of his spiritual path.

Maybe it’s kind of a one-seventh thing. Like, if I spend one-seventh of my waking hours on specific devotion, such as prayer or study. I more or less do this daily. But is that the same thing as setting aside an entire day each week? Probably not. Probably there’s something special about going through your daily schedule devoted only to God, where on other days it’s business as usual.

So I’m going to “set the Sabbath feature” this weekend. I’m marking off this Sunday (that’s the day it is in my home) as Sabbath. The whole day. I have no idea what that will mean. I may start with trying to get all my work done before I go to bed on Saturday, and then rise up, expectant. I wonder what will happen?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 3/17/2006 12:00:00 PM, Anonymous godbert said...

I think the Sabbath observance is meant to relate to the biblical statement that God rested from creating the universe on the 7th "day." It's just taking literally the word 'day," which seems to me less important than the "resting." To me resting is turning attention away from the mortal, material, human life and getting a glimpse of the eternal spiritual reality that coicides with it. Some peopel call it meditation, or "knowing" or even, as you do, prayer. Doesn't need to take units of time, just attention.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home