Thursday, March 09, 2006

The "process of weaning"

This is kind of fun, a blog reader Emily pointed out a confluence of themes between her blog and mine, so check out this entry in hers in relation to mine yesterday. She’s weaning herself from corporate-affiliated shopping.

I really like her blog. Here’s another entry from hers about her goldfish, which she has since christened Lazarus.

Her sentence, “I took his sudden reappearance as a message from God: That which the world would give up for dead is very much alive,” is comforting me today, on the heels of hearing that a long-time fellow church member passed on a few days ago.

The bitter pill that everything about this mortal universe dies is so compensated by the reality that Life itself is everlasting. And that nothing good is ever extinguished even if what we see and hear here is no longer animate. Good is linked to God, the Divine, who does not end or sleep.

And so many things seem to die, not just people. A job, a relationship, a house—we’re often parted from things unwillingly or before we think we’re ready. I’ve come to think of that as simply the nature of this mortal seeming. These forced separations cause us to face the reality of matter’s unreality. For if something is truly real, it is eternal. If it’s temporary, it’s not really real anyway so being parted from it is no loss.

And here’s where the logic of something Mary Baker Eddy wrote becomes clear. “Loss is gain,” a phrase from one of her poems, raised some cynical jibes from my brother as his journey led him away from the study of Christian Science. But I still think she’s right, and now, some years later, I think he’d agree. We cannot hope to gain spiritually if we cling to the material, so the forced disappointment with matter’s loss causes us to seek something higher.

Here’s more from Eddy:

The sharp experiences of belief in the supposititious life of matter, as well as our disappointments and ceaseless woes, turn us like tired children to the arms of divine Love. Then we begin to learn Life in divine Science. Without this process of weaning, "Canst thou by searching find out God?"

--Science and Health

Weaning ourselves from matter. Emily’s doing it by changing her shopping habits. My brother is continuing his Christian walk, and has become a person I go to for prayerful support. The surviving spouse of the church member is now being called to see her husband as free from matter. I hope I can be a help to her in the coming months.

How am I weaning myself today?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 07:08:00 AM, Blogger joy said...

This is really helpful to me Laura, thanks so much.

 
At 3/09/2006 08:56:00 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Yeah, 'trials are PROOFS of God's care' was something I really treasured this summer. We have to get pushed out of mortal thought into spiritual in order to get closer to God. Woohoo!

Weaning myself from things that could cause me trial before it builds into a trial is something I'm working on, though. Where to begin?

 
At 3/10/2006 02:24:00 PM, Anonymous Emily said...

Where to begin ... that's a question I used to struggle with myself. FlyLady has the best answer I've ever heard: "You are not behind! Jump in where you are!"

Her Web site is about cleaning your house and getting clutter under control, but I apply it to spirituality, too.

She's into stuff like setting a timer and working for 15 minutes to put things away in your most cluttered room, keeping your kitchen sink clean and shiny (even if the rest of the house is a disaster!) and putting out "hot spots," by which she means putting away (or throwing away) any objects you find on end tables or coffee tables or wherever else clutter seems to pile up.

I've been sort of trying to apply FlyLady's methods to my efforts to tame mental and spiritual clutter. I don't know if it would work for everybody, but I find it really helpful.

I wonder what would happen if I spent just five minutes a day working on putting out my spiritual "hot spots"?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home