Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Partnership in miracles

My son and I attended a bar mitzvah this weekend. We went to one last year that I wrote about here. I’m glad to say I was actually invited this time. We had a great time!

I wanted to share something the rabbi said in his address to the congregation during the ceremony. The Torah reading was the single most important event in the Hebrew Testament: leaving Egypt and the parting of the Red Sea (actually, I was reminded, the Sea of Reeds). The rabbi shared a story from a midrash in the Talmud.

Apparently there’s a tradition that a particular newly-freed Hebrew, in anticipation of the sea’s parting, began to wade into the water. He got up to his ankles and said, I know the sea’s going to part! He got up to his knees and said, I know the sea’s going to part! He got all the way up to his nose, and still kept wading. And it was at that moment Moses raised his staff and the sea began to part.

In praising this man’s faith, the rabbi at the bar mitzvah said, “A miracle is a partnership.” He made the point that we participate in the miracles in our lives, we aren’t just spiritual bystanders.

I love this idea. And I think it applies to all spiritual growth. Do we just sit passively waiting for divine Love to bless us? Or do we run out to meet it, headlong, with faith? What is required of us in order for the blessings to come? Are we willing to immerse ourselves, even up to our noses?

What miracle do we want to partner on today?


From Science and Health:


The miracle introduces no disorder, but unfolds the primal order, establishing the Science of God's unchangeable law.

--p. 135

The miracle of grace is no miracle to Love.

--p. 494

The great miracle, to human sense, is divine Love, and the grand necessity of existence is to gain the true idea of what constitutes the kingdom of heaven in man.

--p. 560

MIRACLE. That which is divinely natural, but must be learned humanly; a phenomenon of Science.

--p. 591



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

4 Comments:

At 2/15/2006 10:08:00 AM, Anonymous Vicki said...

It must have been a member of the tribe of Gad that waded into the water! Recall Mrs. Eddy's definition of "Gad" in the Glossary of Science and Health:

GAD (Jacob's son). Science; spiritual being understood; haste towards harmony.

Vicki

 
At 2/15/2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger Sandy W. said...

So often I have equated faith with trust (as in trusting that God is indeed able to meet our every need, including in urgent times of distress). The rabbi's story of the man in the Red Sea certainly illustrates this. Lately, however, I've been studying and praying with the idea of expectancy of good, which I think is a step beyond faith and trust. In other words, it is the natural extension of faith and trust. Mrs. Eddy writes in SCIENCE AND HEALTH, "When the destination is desirable, expectation speeds our progress." (426:8-9)

If we understand that our prayers have the authority of God's goodness, why should we not expect that goodness to manifest itself? Of course, that expectancy should not be confused with a self-righteous attitude of "I deserve what I'm asking for" or a personal outlining of how our prayers should be answered. Rather, our faith and trust must be rooted in a humility that acknowledges God's allness and His understanding of what we need at every moment.

Often I have found that when I drop a personal sense of how a healing should come about and humbly trust God and Her love for me, I have opened myself up to a larger blessing with a more beneficial outcome than I could have outlined. And, yes, there have been times when the water has risen to my nose before that has occurred!

 
At 2/15/2006 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

thanks Sandy for your insights, and Vicki, that sure made me chuckle!!

"haste toward harmony," a great strategy!

love,
Laura

 
At 2/22/2006 08:11:00 AM, Blogger joy said...

What an inspiring place this blog is. Thanks everyone.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home