Thursday, February 23, 2006

One Christ

This one goes out to a new friend I made via instant messaging yesterday.

Along with Science and Health, there’s another book by Mary Baker Eddy that I often turn to for spiritual guidance. It functions as the source document for the church organization she founded, but it’s so much more than that. Known as The Manual of The Mother Church, it’s full of not only organizational aspects, but also wise words of direction and discipline. And, it’s very short—only about 140 pages. I try to read it through a couple times a year.

Once, I ached with longing for a man who’d rejected me. I’d really thought this guy was perfect for me. We shared the same faith and the same professional interests, he was funny and cute, and even said he wanted to adopt my son. It felt like all my problems were over, just having him in my life.

But then the relationship ended. Where was my knight in shining armor now? You know that great song, Where have all the cowboys gone? by Paula Cole:

Where is my John Wayne
Where is my prairie son
Where is my happy ending
Where have all the cowboys gone


Captured my feelings exactly. Who would save me now?

Many passages from the Bible and Science and Health helped me through this time. I didn’t often turn to the Manual for inspiration in times like this, but I must have been reading it as an assignment from church or something. And I read this:

One Christ. SECT. 7. In accordance with the Christian Science textbooks, — the BIBLE, and SCIENCE AND HEALTH WITH KEY TO THE SCRIPTURES, — and in accord with all of Mrs. Eddy's teachings, members of this Church shall neither entertain a belief nor signify a belief in more than one Christ, even that Christ whereof the Scripture beareth testimony.

--Manual


I realized suddenly that with all my longing, I was giving this guy too much power (power that frankly he hadn’t wanted, which contributed to our breakup). I already had a Savior, and it is Christ. When I joined the church, I committed to having only one Savior, one Christ.

To me, this means the divine inspiration from God that comes to each of us in our hours of need. Jesus Christ embodied this inspiration and showed us how to connect with it. The Christ continues to bless us with God’s guidance and love, coming right into our hearts when we most need it. It’s a spiritual knight-in-shining-armor that empowers us to face and solve our own problems with strength. “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me,” says Paul.

I began to look for ways the Christ was saving me already, in my happy home, my good job, my continued spiritual growth. Christ was handling it all for me already. And, I had to stop assigning this power to any human man, no matter how cute. I could see that this pattern of looking for salvation from a guy had followed me through many relationships, and I had to cut it out. It put too much pressure on the guys, and tended to extinguish any affection they felt for me.

I can’t tell you now how often I’ve been aware of the Christ in action on my behalf since then—it’s countless times. Aligning myself with that spiritual protection and confidence has brought me answers and direction I couldn’t have found through a human being. It’s enabled me to act quickly when the need warranted it, to be decisive, to find sustenance, to feel comforted.

Think about it. What are we looking to to save us today? And do we know it’s already here?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 04:52:00 PM, Anonymous Veronika said...

Yes, I can understand so well what you have written!
I had looked for salvation in the men in my life, even in my current husband. And as long as I did, the marriage wasn't happy. Now that I have really understood that only the Truth is my salvation, there is peace and happiness in my marriage.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home