Friday, February 17, 2006

"No good is, but the good God bestows"

Yesterday I spent some time with one of my favorite passages:

All substance, intelligence, wisdom, being, immortality, cause, and effect belong to God. These are His attributes, the eternal manifestations of the infinite divine Principle, Love. No wisdom is wise but His wisdom; no truth is true, no love is lovely, no life is Life but the divine; no good is, but the good God bestows.


Sometimes in life, I try to make my own good. I’ll want things to go a certain way or I’ll push for an outcome that I’ve decided is desirable. Sometimes I’m frustrated in the attempt; at other times, unfortunately, I get what I want. In both instances, I learn something about disappointment.

But when I remember, “No good is, but the good God bestows,” my perspective changes. That bestowing is like a gentle rain, quenching the parched earth. It’s showering on us continually, bathing us in Love, cleansing and purifying us. I lift my face to it and feel its tender touch.

One time, when there was a particular young man I had my eye on, I had the sense to pray along these lines first. I liked him, but stopped pursuing him when I realized that all good comes from God. If it was from God, nothing could keep me from it. If it wasn’t from God, I didn’t want it. So I lifted my face to God, and felt the good already coming to me.

Well, I didn’t get that guy, but I did get an impulse of inspiration and comfort from this realization. *All* good is from God. If other people are being good to me, that’s God working through them. God expresses Himself through good. This realization helped me to see that good was already all around me, coming at me from all directions. I didn’t need to expect it or want it from just one human source. I had all I wanted already.

To have grown savvy enough to be able to say, “That looks good and it might feel good, but if it’s not from God, it’s not really good and I don’t want it,” has been a huge strength. Our eyes and ears fool us into defining harmful or self-destructive things as good. Once the veil is ripped, however, and we know the source is not God, we can turn from it.

I don’t need to know why something is harmful anymore. I don’t need to talk myself out of things like I used to. Now, it’s a simple matter of discerning, Is this from God? Many things do not pass that test, so then I just shrug them off. It’s a waste of time to yearn for anything not from God, because not only is the yearning painful but even getting it turns into disappointment. The good stuff from God is fulfilling and satisfying—why would I want anything else?

“No good is, but the good God bestows.” Let it rain.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 2/18/2006 06:59:00 AM, Blogger joy said...

Wow, such helpful thoughts Laura. Thank you very much

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home