Friday, February 24, 2006

Letter update

I’ve talked a bit about a letter I had to write. Well, the letter was written and sent, and none-too-well received. Which is understandable given the circumstances, yet it still upset me to have this feeling of conflict hanging over my head.

So I allowed myself to stew for a couple days. The posting about friendship stems from that mood—I’m so grateful for my best friend! Once I calmed down though, I really wanted to pray about this but found it difficult.

Ultimately, it was an email from one of my blog readers who has since become a friend that helped me. When I first posted about the letter, I got this email:

Just wanted you to know that I have had to do in the past what you are doing today with your letter. In my case, the letter itself ended up not having a huge effect, I don't think...but the prayer started things slowly rolling in the right direction.

I have really gotten a lot of help from your idea that Principle fills all space. Somehow, it's more on target for me than "Principle is everywhere." Principle is already where that letter needs to go.

That last sentence stuck with me, I've even written about it before. “Principle is already where that letter needs to go.” I have to admit I’ve mostly thought of this other person as irresponsible and unwilling to do the right thing. But the idea that Principle, another name for the Divine in Christian Science, is right there at the other end refutes that image.

Principle to me indicates there is an underlying spiritual law that cannot be broken. This law is Love and Truth. Nobody has more or less of that law, since we are all the outcome of the enactment of that law. How can any creation of Principle be unfair or reprobate?

So the other day when stressing about the conflict feeling, my friend’s words came to me again. I just relaxed into them. Principle is already there. What a relief! And I could let it go, to a degree, and know that the logic of events will take its course, governed by Principle. And I could continue to understand and forgive even while taking action toward what’s right.

I know some folks think I’m the one giving as the writer of this blog, but never forget that I’m getting so much in return! Your reading and being helped by these ideas helps me, too.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

5 Comments:

At 2/24/2006 04:04:00 PM, Anonymous Veronika said...

Dear Laura,
Just before I read your article today, I had again looked up what I had found the other day in the dictionary about 'Principle.' Here it is:

"Principle: That which is inherent in anything, determining its nature; essential character; essence."

I have found this so helpful that I thought I'd share it.

 
At 2/24/2006 05:04:00 PM, Anonymous Emily said...

In dealing with conflict, I've found three ideas helpful:

1. There is just one divine Mind -- not many human minds with conflicting thoughts. Discord and disagreements, then, are only illusions.

2. What blesses one, blesses all.

3. We are all perfect reflections of divine Love, even if we don't always act like it.

All three ideas have come in handy in resolving disputes over the preservation of historic structures, which is something I deal with a lot.

The third idea really turned around a meeting that was going badly. People had brought all sorts of grudges and old wounds to the table, and their hurt feelings left them unable or unwilling to resolve the issue at hand in a reasonable manner. I found this very daunting, but I made up my mind not to see any mortal illusions -- only the real, perfect, spiritual identities of the men and women around me.

The tone of the meeting changed almost instantly, and I wound up spending the rest of the summer working side-by-side with two of the warring factions as we pooled our energies and resources to bring about positive change in the community. It was a beautiful illustration of divine Mind guiding us all to express our true, loving natures -- and blessing us all in the process.

 
At 2/24/2006 05:20:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Thank you Veronika and Emily, these are wonderful inspiring thoughts.

@}-->--
Laura

 
At 2/25/2006 07:06:00 AM, Blogger joy said...

Hello Laura and Everyone,
Would just like to comment on how I love this blog, reading your posts Laura, and then the comments.
It is like a lovely conversation between friends. Thank you.
PS. I was so inspired when reading the Lesson today, with the thought of 'building blocks.' It's not about buildings as such, but as we go out like the disciples and actually live what we are learning, we are part of the 'living church.' What a thought! Each time we express what we know of God, Church grows! Or, put another way, the vision of perfect Church becomes more apparent.

 
At 2/25/2006 08:39:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

thank you Joy! I'm so glad you're here!

warmly,
Laura

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home