Friday, February 03, 2006

"Let the words of my mouth..."

[sorry so late today! blogger was down this morning...]


Psalm 19 is another favorite.


1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handiwork.

2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.

3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,

5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.

6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.

9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.

10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.

13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

--Psalm 19


I love the structure of this poem. It starts with the heavens, which actually speak and praise God. And we hear about the sun in the heavens, making its circuit in the sky. The Principle that upholds the sun in its path is the law of the Lord, which we hear about as testimony, statutes, commandments, fear of the Lord (which I read as respect), and the Lord’s judgments. All these together are worth more than the world’s wealth or sustenance. And these laws, if we pay attention, warn us and keep us safe.

But then I love the twist ending… what about the things we miss or don’t understand? The things we might be doing wrong unknowingly? God Himself will protect us even from this.

The earnest prayer of the final verse is one of my favorite Bible passages. I pray this often when I’m in despair about my own gracelessness. In those “open mouth, insert foot” moments where I wish I could have been more loving or tactful. I pray this prayer to find a place of peace so that I can be led to know what to do to make things right.

For sometimes I just gotta say what I need to say. It just comes out, often to those closest to me, and my words cause pain. To re-dedicate my mouth and my very thoughts to God, to yearn to be acceptable to divine Love, becomes my strength—and my redeemer.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 2/09/2006 07:03:00 AM, Blogger joy said...

Hi Laura, just wanted to say thank you for alll your thoughts, and to let you know that I have now found out how to post a comment.
Lots of love, joy

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home