Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Statement of faith

Here’s an interesting piece from beliefnet.com—Jesus Christ, Man of Mystery. I’m not sure what I think of it—haha, maybe that’s the mystery.

I know many many Christians revere Jesus as God incarnate, and feel that the sheer act of God humbling Himself to become flesh is the point of Jesus’ coming. So that God would understand our woes, and show His intense love for us in the form of sacrifice on the cross. And this indeed is a great gift, that we were shown so clearly how to live and what’s important.

But I haven’t quite wrapped my head around what it all means. I think what I’m coming up against is semantics. Who is Jesus? Who or what is the Christ? How do they both relate to God, Holy Spirit? Am I Christian? What does it mean to be Christian?

Speaking very simplistically and at the great risk of being misunderstood, here’s what I understand so far:

  • That Jesus was the Messiah, the Savior, who came to show us the Way.
  • That Jesus embodied Christ, which means Savior, and therefore deserves and lives that title and all associated with it.
  • That Jesus was showing us the Way, so that we could follow it ourselves. We are meant to do what he did, to live as he taught, to embody the Christ-nature ourselves to whatever degree we can.
  • That Jesus, as a part of his virgin birth, was both literally and spiritually the son of God, yet he was also the son of man (as the child of Mary).
  • That this virgin birth was to show us that not even material generation is all that there is to creation; that creation happens spiritually.
  • That Jesus’ suffering on the cross was a result of material mortal sinful sense that we all are both perpetrators of and victims of.
  • That Jesus’ resurrection from death was proof that material mortal sinful sense can never win.
  • That God is Father-Mother, the whole Creator, of us as well as Jesus. That we, too, were and are created in His image and likeness. That Jesus was showing us what that image and likeness is, and we can embody that as well.

So I have indeed reverence for Jesus Christ, what he did and what he stood for. And I hope every day to be following his lead more closely. If considering him as the embodiment of Christ means I accept his divinity, then so be it. His dual nature, divine and human, can’t be denied—but neither can ours.

And perhaps that’s where I move from what might be considered traditional Christianity. I believe all the truths about Jesus’ divinity; but I also believe them about us. God is also our Father-Mother, and we are that image and likeness still and always.

So I guess the next thing to explore is what I think about the fall of Adam and Eve. Perhaps tomorrow!

P.S., none of the above of course is original to me, I have come to my conclusions based on my study of the Bible along with Christian Science, which has always made sense to me and I’ve been able to prove by degrees by demonstration. Not sure where this statement of faith is coming from today! But it felt important.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 1/18/2006 08:54:00 PM, Anonymous franklin said...

Hello,

I am surprised that Christian Scientists would believe in a actual virgin birth.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home