Thursday, January 26, 2006

Smooth sailing

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.



Yesterday my moment of insight felt like the wind at my back.

I don’t know how many of you have been sailing. When you’re sailing into the wind, you feel it on your face. You’re think you’re going fast because you have the sensation of all this resistance blowing past you. And with tacking back and forth, you can indeed achieve some speed and even gradual progress toward your goal. It’s arduous, but your hard work pays off.

When the wind is at your back, however, you feel nothing. It’s like stillness on a perfectly calm day. You can stand up on the bow of the boat and hang on to the lines, basking in the sun, enjoying the moment. Then you check the knot-meter, and you see you’re moving along at the fastest clip ever. This is because you’re going *with* the wind. The wind’s speed is your speed.

Yesterday when I had the need to pray, the concept that came to me was “effortless.” Our movement Spiritward is effortless, frictionless. Nothing is slowing us down. It’s smooth sailing.

And I had this feeling of sailing with the ideas of Mind. Mind’s ideas are flowing to us constantly. We can resist by facing into them, questioning them, disobeying them, even though Mind, God, is an irresistible force. (There’s no tacking away from the direction Mind is moving us.) Or we can reorient our perspective, put the wind of Mind at our back, and sail along without strain, without stress.

So I sailed. I relaxed into the idea that God is the one moving me wherever He wants me to go. I stood in the sun of Mind’s universe, recognizing how fast Mind is moving me. I gloried in Mind’s loving joy and provision.

I shared this comforting realization mentally with all on my prayer agenda. I saw all of us as sailing, frictionless, at the behest of Mind. I saw us as unafraid to obey Mind’s leadings, as joyfully embracing Mind’s challenges.

We’re sailing together with Mind at our back. Just think of how fast we’re moving.

God speed!


WIND. That which indicates the might of omnipotence and the movements of God's spiritual government, encompassing all things.

--Science and Health p. 597


Mind is perpetual motion.

--Science and Health p. 240




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home