Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A psalm a day

I’ve written before about daily prayer discipline, and as I start the new year, it’s been helpful for me to re-read what I wrote. As I mentioned in December, the holidays sort of blew me away so my discipline suffered. Now I’m excited to be getting back on track. December was full of the feast of the senses; now I’m loving that I again will be feasting on Soul.

Something I added yesterday as I prayed has brought me some new inspiration. Along with reading two pages of Science and Health every day, I’ve decided to add the practice of reading a psalm every day. The book of Psalms in the Bible is full of such comfort and imagery. When I read the Psalms a feeling of peace and assurance washes over me. Who wouldn’t want that every day?

Psalm 1 did not disappoint. One of the things I usually ruminate about at the turn of the year is my financial status. You know, doing the bookkeeping to close out one year and start another, gathering the tax data, etc. Money and my various prospects can take up a lot of mental space. Well, Psalm 1 gave me the succinct and convincing answer to any worry I might feel.

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

--Psalm 1:1-3


I found that very comforting! Because all that’s required of me is to delight in the law of the Lord, and next thing you know, I’m a tree planted by a river and everything I do will prosper.

I love that tree by the river image. A tree by a river (especially in a desert) never runs out of what it needs. Its roots can reach right over and drink to its heart’s content. So I guess the psalm is telling me that God’s law puts me right where I need to be, and I can draw from it any time.

Thinking about God’s law was also fun. I thought about giving honest service, about helping those who work with me, about expressing Love and Mind, all the attributes of God, in my dealings with others. I don’t really need to scramble around worried about other things, those things will take care of themselves. My focus can be on God and His law, and I will be cared for.

There are 150 psalms, but I’m thinking I’ll do each section of the longer Psalm 119 as its own day, so that’s about 173 or so days. Which may or may not include weekends. And then there will be other sections of the Bible to explore, such as the Sermon on the Mount or Isaiah or Proverbs. This could take forever! Yay! And then I’ll be able to start all over again!

Such a feast. God’s goodness never stops.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 1/03/2006 09:23:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

what a great start to the year --
hugs

kim

 
At 1/04/2006 02:41:00 AM, Anonymous rev. Veronika Birken said...

Dear Laura,
I thought that maybe you would like to add one more psalm to your collection. Here it is:

PSALM 2 ( to be sung at night)

Father, when I look at You
I see in Your perfection my own
because I am Your reflection.
In this reflection I can see
that all You are I AM.

You are all power
and so AM I.
You are all presence
and so AM I.

In Your Love is
mine perfected.
I am in danger
nowhere in the world
for You are with me.

I cannot be threatened
by illusions of any kind
whatever their appearances
may be for they are not true.

You are Truth
and therefore so AM I.
Truth cannot be shaken
by error of any kind
and neither can I
for I am part of Truth.

I am part of the All.
This is my safety
for there is nothing
beyond the All
and therefore nothing
beyond I AM.

Love, Veronika

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home