Wednesday, January 18, 2006

More sex talk (soft of)

Think I’ll deal with Adam and Eve and the fall another day, because I finished Paul Feig’s Superstud: Or How I Became a 24-Year-Old Virgin (which I wrote about the other week). What a fun book!

References to Christian Science and to God are laced throughout the whole story (he was raised in Christian Science). I related to it all, also because we’re the same age and both from the Midwest so all of his cultural references were familiar to me. And he did what I wish I had done, which is go out to LA right after college instead of waiting until I was 30. Owell! 20/20 hindsight.

Anyway, this book is not for those who blush easily. The descriptions of his sexual escapades are frank and detailed, although not erotic at all. Just matter-of-fact descriptions of teen sexual absurdity. And his various moments of truth, and how many times he chose *not* to have sex when he could have. Which was fascinating to me.

Ultimately, this book comes down strongly in favor of love. In his “in passing” kind of way, he explores romantic love, mother love, father love, the love of friends, and self-respect as a form of love.

I especially had a howl about what Christian Scientists would recognize as a “distance” healing. In a chapter Feig titles, “Please do not read this chapter,” he tells about injuring his neck in a, shall we say, highly misguided attempt at self-stimulation. (There’s a lot about masturbation in this book, so if that makes you squirm, you might want to steer clear.) He’s in a lot of pain, and at that very moment, he gets a call from his cheery mother. (She sounds like she was a real hoot, I wish I could have known her.)

Mom has had some sort of “feeling” that he was in pain, so thought she would call. (How many Christian Science testimonies have included that?) He, of course, claims to be fine. So she chirps on in her fun sort of way, then says, “I’m glad [you’re fine.] Because I’ve got the worst sore neck.” The shock of her saying this jolts him, and snaps the injured area back into place.

As both the child of a Christian Science mom, and now a Christian Science mom myself, this brought me to tears laughing. How many moms are out there praying for their kids every day, but with no idea of what’s really going on in their lives? Yet those prayers are effective, in whatever way the kid needs it. We don’t have to know exactly what’s going on to support prayerfully, even as my own mom didn’t need to know (thank God) everything I was up to in order to help me with her prayers. And pray she did, and I’m so grateful.

Now I’m feeling the pinch of knowing neither of my kids really want me to know everything about them anymore. My love for them has to go beyond the meshing of our human personalities. I’m being challenged to see more clearly and to support more prayerfully, rather than with opinions or advice. I suppose this is a deeper emulation of the Father-Mother Love that embraces us all. So it must be a blessing.

Feig’s book is worth a look if only to see how two Christian Science parents handle things like projectile vomit, the smell of pot permeating clothes, and large un-hideable hickeys. And, as they say, the acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree. I’ll bet their son is a pretty great guy.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

2 Comments:

At 1/18/2006 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Horny Old Guy said...

"Teen sexual absurbiity"...I think I remember that far back...but at least I never injured by neck playing with my weenie! Sounds like an interesting book! Cheers!

 
At 6/17/2007 04:21:00 PM, Anonymous Debra said...

This is one funny blog--and the comment by "Horny Old Guy" along with his name had me laughing so hard I cried.

Thanks so much for your candor, Laura. What a gem you are.
Debra

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home