Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Infinitely infinitesimal

Frank the Dog/Alien: You humans. When are you gonna learn that size doesn’t matter? Just ’cuz something’s important doesn’t mean it’s not very very small.

--Men in Black


You know I’ve talked before about infinity. And generally when I meditate on this concept, I’m trying to wrap my head around something all-encompassing. Yesterday though I got a whole new idea in prayer that I wanted to share today.

I was helping someone working through a physically painful ordeal. When I opened my thought to inspiration that might ease her way, the idea came that divine Love was in between her and her body.

One of my favorite passages in Science and Health is: “Clad in the panoply of Love, human hatred cannot reach you.” I’d always thought of this as a suit of armor (panoply) that surrounds my body and protects me from hateful thinking—which is an adequate line of reasoning in most cases. But in this case, when it was the body itself complaining, I had to go deeper. I saw for the first time how the panoply doesn’t encompass our body, but our consciousness. Divine Love stands between us and our very bodies, protecting us from pain.

And then I thought, even as our existence doesn’t take up any time, it also doesn’t take up any space. Consciousness doesn’t take up space. It has no dimension, no height, depth or width from a spatial point of view. Our true being has no dimension. As we exist only now, so we also only exist as the perfect iota, with no material measurement whatsoever.

We are infinitely infinitesimal.

Huh, I thought. Suddenly it became absolutely clear how divine Love could never have any problem protecting us and supplying our every need. How easy and natural it is for us to be encompassed in Love every moment, like an embryo in a womb. We are protected completely, even invulnerable to the vicissitudes of our human bodies.

I was certain my friend was in that space, or non-space. I became convinced she dwelled there in divine Love, suspended and protected in that panoply of warmth and joy. She reported back later that the experience went much better than expected—it was “like night and day” from earlier episodes of the same nature.

Infinitely infinitesimal. I’m happy to be that today.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 1/04/2006 11:39:00 AM, Anonymous Vicki said...

Thanks for this interesting perspective on "panoply of Love" I'll be sure to use it!

 
At 1/07/2006 10:57:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

wonderful way to take Love to the infinitesimal.
Thanks for sharing!!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home