Monday, January 09, 2006

He is pleased with you

Do you ever hit the conundrum of believing God is all power and all good and we’re made in His image and likeness, yet knowing there are certain things you can’t handle? Like, walking into traffic without looking or drinking something designed to affect you when you don’t want those effects.

I know I wrestle with this sometimes. I mean, we should all be able to walk on water, right? There’s nothing spiritual preventing it, and materiality has no power since Spirit is all. Why can’t I just snap my fingers and do whatever I want?

Usually for me this is a form of impatience with myself and my progress. I’m not happy with how far I’ve already come and I want to push myself beyond my current understanding. I’m just tired of dealing with certain things, but haven’t learned what I need to get beyond them yet. So I’m mad I can’t walk on water or raise the dead or resurrect from a crucifixion intact.

I got some comfort on this issue this morning when reading Science and Health. I know some people read this book and feel it’s too demanding, but when I read it, I think it’s filled with kindness and patience. Sure, there are high ideals being presented, and the absolute Truth of Being, but right alongside it you’ll find comforting passages that acknowledge spiritual growth is experienced as a process. It’s not a one-time destination where we feel, We’ve arrived! but a journey, where each step brings its rewards.

So this morning I read:


One should not tarry in the storm if the body is freezing, nor should he remain in the devouring flames. Until one is able to prevent bad results, he should avoid their occasion. To be discouraged, is to resemble a pupil in addition, who attempts to solve a problem of Euclid, and denies the rule of the problem because he fails in his first effort.

--Science and Health


And that struck me as very kind!

One time, years ago when I was new to the healing practice, I faced the stark distance between what I was beginning to sense spiritual healing could include and my own demonstration of it. In other words, I thought I sucked. I was used to being an “A” student in everything, and making the grade in this case was eluding me.

I fixated on all the things I wasn’t doing, all the people I wanted to help but couldn’t. World peace? Not happening. End hunger? Too huge. Cure all diseases and nullify time and space? Uh-uh. I remember wailing to God, “I can’t walk on water! I want to, but I can’t!”

The answer was so comforting. The gentle thought came, I don’t want you to walk on water *now*. I don’t need you to walk on water *now*. What you’re doing now is enough.

I gained some measure of peace that day. I remember that moment frequently, because I’m still not beyond the tendency to beat myself up occasionally. And that same comfort is still there for me. And you know? I can look back and see that what I have done has been enough.

It’s like Jacob said to Esau when they reunite after years of being estranged: “If now I have found grace in thy sight, then receive my present at my hand: for therefore I have seen thy face, as though I had seen the face of God, and thou wast pleased with me.” (Genesis)

God loves me anyway.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

5 Comments:

At 1/09/2006 08:17:00 PM, Anonymous rev. Veronika Birken said...

Dear Laura,
As usual, you are so inspiring with your articles!
It came to me that I apparently can't do certain things because I am still too selfish and self centred about it. Each healing truly came to me through the grace of God's Love because each time I have been able to let go of some false concept of myself or others. Amen.
Love, Veronika

 
At 1/10/2006 06:21:00 AM, Blogger uweps said...

Hi Laura,

thank you for this inspiring article.

I feel so impatient with my spiritual progress sometimes, that I think in those moments, gods spriritual laws are made for everybody, exept me. I don't think about walking on water! One simple healing would be a big step forward for me, and would satisfy me absolutely in the moment.
Since a weeks I'm dealing with a dry coughing, and can't find (demonstrate) healing. I do know that I'm, as God's beloved child and reflection, can't express sickness, although the coughing seems to dominate me.
Do you have a helpful thougt for me?

Best Regards, Uwe

 
At 1/10/2006 09:14:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

i love this article

thank you!

 
At 1/10/2006 11:29:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

thanks for your comments, folks!

uwe, thanks for writing in... I know what that's like, to have a persistent symptom and how tough that can be sometimes.

when I have problems that come up again and again, I try to use each instance as a reminder. whenever it happens, I stop and align my thought as closely as I can with the truth of being. I'll wait for a new inspiration each time. This is key, because just going over the same ground you have been doesn't bring the progress you need for healing. Each instance can be an opportunity to build on the inspiration from before.

whenever I've done this consistently and persistently, the symptom invariably yields to the stronger spiritual truth. and I just have to do this one more time than the symptom to be healed!

so keep at it. feel free to email me, too, at laura@lbmatthews.com.

much love,
Laura

 
At 3/25/2006 02:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! that's awesome Laura -- I think God is pleased with you.

Mark

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home