Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Prayer helps with the unpleasant

I have a very unpleasant letter to write.

I need to say something to someone (sorry to be so vague) that they're not going to want to hear, and it may very well make them wind up hating me. (That is, if they don't hate me already.) But it's something involving my kids so I really have to do it.

I'm choosing the letter format rather than face-to-face, because face-to-face attempts have proven fruitless. And I'm more comfortable in front of the keyboard, I can collect my thoughts, etc. And the person can then have their own honest reaction to what I have to say without me being right there to witness it.

What's hard right now is knowing I need to having a loving heart before writing. And it's difficult. I'm going to have to be firm and clear, but also not destroy the relationship, such as it is.

Just writing about it now is giving me some ideas, though. Like, this person really does want to do the right thing. They're a creation of the one God, just as I am. I don't have a superior position in God's eyes, even though I'm in the right humanly. We're both cradled in God's loving embrace, and God has put the desire to do right in that person's heart as well as in my own.

So, I don't need to *make* the person *want* to do right. My letter can acknowledge this, actually. That I have faith the person wants to make it right. Hmmm, that's a thought. I can also acknowledge the good that has been expressed before laying out what needs to happen now.

Sometimes these blog entries are my prayer happening right before your eyes. This is one of those times! Just writing this and committing to praying about it has brought me some peace, and a sense of direction. I don't have to be angry or forceful in my letter. I can be loving and generous even as I state my side. That's very comforting to me right now.

I may tackle the letter later today. I'll let you know how it goes!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 12/14/2005 03:54:00 PM, Anonymous Rev. Veronika Birken said...

Peace first! Dear Laura friend!
This is what I am learning. Mortal mind suggests that if I do this or that first then I will be at peace. No! Whenever I am not at peace, I quieten my mind and listen to the Holy Spirit, the Voice for God, the Christ speaking to human consciousness. This will give me the peace I need to hear His answer to any perceived problem instead of my own. And this is what happened to you too. How lovely!
Peace, Veronika

 
At 12/14/2005 05:40:00 PM, Blogger porthos said...

Perhaps you're aware of Pierre Pradvervand's
The genle art of blessing." I"m reading it now and I think it would be a good launch pad for your letter.

 
At 12/15/2005 05:23:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Dear Laura,

I too find that writing helps me clarify my thoughts and leads to healing ideas and prayers. I'm grateful to have a friend who understands this need and is a willing recipient of my "thinking things through" e-mails. It's nice be able to return the favor in a way with your blogs.

I love the Bible verse "...what doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" (Micah 6:8) It has really helped my family through some relationship rifts this past year. Quietly celebrating and rejoicing in God's mercy which is greater than we can even hope for or imagine has proven true with amazing results. I'm sure this mercy will be/is evident in the hearts of both yourself and the person you're writing.

With love,
Maria

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home