Thursday, November 17, 2005

Trust -> willingness -> understanding

I've written before about willingness, how it's an essential element to spiritual growth. Yet I'm noticing that it's hard to be willing unless you have another essential element, and that's trust.


And trust to me is more than blind faith. People have heard my stories on occasion and have remarked, "You must have so much faith." But I really think I have very little faith. I don't believe much unless it's been proven to me.


That's why I always mess up those religion or belief tests—like this one (which said I should investigate Islam). I say I believe in a higher power but also that I only believe what can be proven. This seems like a contradiction to most, but to me they perfectly coincide. This is because my Christian also includes Science. Somehow Christian Science doesn't get into the tests. :)


Anyway, what do I have if I don't have faith? Trust. I've had enough happen in my own life that convinces me there's something to what Mary Baker Eddy wrote, and I can demonstrate it. So when I'm faced with the next challenge, I have a background to draw on of other times when spiritual direction has helped me. I've been building on it over the years.


What I've gradually learned is how to distinguish spiritual inspiration from just random thinking. Often it feels like it comes out of left field, but it always presents a higher way, a way of trust or compassion. Like the "turn away" idea from yesterday's entry. This impulse felt different than my panicked thoughts, it surprised me and got me thinking along new lines. And, because I had a background in things like this happening, I trusted it. If I hadn't trusted, I might not have been so willing to try it out. (Even then it was a struggle.)


But then trust, which led to willingness, led to understanding. I got it, and the healing followed. That experience left me with increased understanding, which contributes to the trust I feel now, and so on and so on.


This is why I seldom expect the people who call me for help to *already* have all their ducks in a row. They're often calling because they have some faith they can be healed, but sometimes the trust and willingness still have to be developed. They lean on my trust for a time as they gain their own, even as I leaned on the practitioners in my life as I grew. In this way we help each other.


You can expect to *know,* not just believe. You can expect truth to be provable, not just believable. Then, trust -> willingness -> understanding -> healing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 11/17/2005 03:01:00 PM, Anonymous Rev. Veronika Birken said...

Dear Laura,
Yesterday I worked with a young man to whom spiritual healing was still new. He was in tears because he was believing in depression. He felt the hopelessness of his situation but when I said that his little willingness was enough and Heaven would do the rest, he was comforted. His trust came up just a little bit because he didn't have to base it on his little sense of self but on a higher power. After we had done some more work he felt at peace. (He now understood through 'experience.')
I just thought I share this with you to add to your theme of the day.
Peace, Veronika

 
At 11/21/2005 06:46:00 AM, Anonymous Stephanie said...

Thank you for this post. I had a revelation about forgivness of myself. When I truly forgive myself, I do not bring MY past failures. It is a clean slate. I called this an inspiration and I trust it as opposed to random thinking. Thanks for your great blog.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home