Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Testing, testing, part 2

Be sure to put yourself on Frappr!
------------------------------------


As promised, the LSAT story.


One spring when we lived in LA, I was working at an investment banking firm, making more money than I ever had before. But the analysts and principals of the company were making WAY more than I was. I began to get this feeling that I should be doing more, that my life was meant for greater things. So when I prayed about it, the answer came, How about an advanced degree? How about law school?


And I liked the way that sounded. So, step one, the LSATs.


I got on the schedule to take them in the fall, so I prepped all summer with prior tests, etc. The LSATs are like a series of word puzzles, here's an example:


Cars are safer than planes. Fifty percent of plane accidents result in death, while only one percent of car accidents result in death. Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

A) Planes are inspected more often than cars.

B) The number of car accidents is several hundred thousand times higher than the number of plane accidents.

C) Pilots never fly under the influence of alcohol, while car drivers often do.

D) Plane accidents are usually the fault of air traffic controllers, not pilots.

E) Planes carry more passengers than cars do.

--courtesy The LSAT Center


It was like you had to get into the groove of the LSATs, kind of meld yourself into their mindset, and then just perform. Obviously, the test has very little bearing on the law itself. (I think the answer is B, by the way.) [Edit: I put C by mistake this morning! that's what I get for writing before breakfast.]


The day of the test rolled around. When I prayed that morning, knowing I'd prepared as much as I could (unlike the calc exam before!), I just put it all in God's hands. Meaning, if He were guiding me to take this test, He had a plan for me, and that plan was only good. I would go into that test and glorify God.


It was a gorgeous sunny day in Southern California. I found the testing site, and saw that it was overflowing with eager young people all excited about going to law school. This made me happy, and it occurred to me to pray for all of them, too. That our country would be blessed with all this "legal energy."


There were strict rules during the test about completion. You were supposed to put your pencil down as soon as the timer said so. I finished the first section early, but noticed that many others in the room kept filling in circles after time had been called. The second time period ended before I had finished the section. I thought, I could quick fill in the circles, because any answer is better than no answer. But I thought, hey, if I want to be a lawyer, I really can't fail this first ethical test! So I put the pencil down, and didn't even go back to fill in later when I'd finished other sections early.


I truly enjoyed the entire test. Just felt fun to flex my intellectual muscles. And I guess I was right about feeling good, because I scored in the 97th percentile.


Now, you'd think that scoring that high meant that I was going to law school. But that's so not what God had in mind. Here's what happened:

  • I prayed about where to apply, and I was told UCLA. That's it. No Pepperdine, no USC, no Loyola. I said, well, okay then.
  • I applied, and was supposed to hear by April.
  • Around May, I got a letter I was on the wait list. Which made me laugh, because I hate to wait for anything.
  • Around June, our company had layoffs!!! And rather than have my subordinate get laid off, I offered to go, because I was possibly going to law school anyway.
  • So then I had to wait some more! And in the meantime, I kept praying. I couldn’t get a new job because of law school, my kids were out of town for the summer. I had three months to PRAY.
  • By the end of the summer, I was getting calls for prayerful help. My healing practice had snuck up on me. I. Loved. It.
  • When I got the letter from UCLA saying "not this time," I was so happy! And I knew what my new career was.


What did I learn from all this? Man, that what God has in mind is sooooo much better than our own plans. The non-stop adventure my life has been since then I wouldn't trade for anything.


So that's my LSAT story. Exams don't determine your future; God does.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 11/08/2005 10:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the answer is B - news reports in recent years show that some pilots DO fly under the influence.

 
At 11/08/2005 03:56:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

oh mi gosh, you caught my typo! I agree, it's B, and that's what I meant to put.

haha, I did do well on the exam....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home