Friday, November 25, 2005

The perfect moment

There's something I've never confessed in here before… I'm a Star Trek fan. A big one. Mostly The Next Generation, but I've enjoyed my share of the original series, the other spin-offs, and the movies as well.


In the movie "Star Trek: Insurrection," the Enterprise visits a race blessed with apparently infinite life. They're human, but they've been living on a planet that slows metabolism to nothing, or something like that. So they live hundreds of years. And this slowing of time allows them to develop an unhurried, peaceful outlook that surpasses the norm.


At one point, Picard (my hero) strolls along with Anij, the planet's leader. He asks her how their mental abilities developed. She teases him, "Always the explorer. If you stay long enough that will change. You stop reviewing what happened yesterday, stop planning for tomorrow. Let me ask you a question. Have you ever experienced a perfect moment in time?"


"A perfect moment?"


"When time seemed to stop and you could almost live in that moment?"


He thinks, and says, "Seeing my home planet in space for the first time."


"Yes. Exactly. Nothing more complicated than perception. You explore the universe. We've discovered that a single moment in time can be a universe in itself, full of powerful forces. Most people aren't aware enough of the now to even notice."


"I wish I could spare a few centuries to learn."


"It took us centuries to learn that it doesn't take centuries to learn."


I find this to be deeply metaphysical, and accurate. This week in my prayers, I spent some time in the perfect moment. I hope I can describe it to you.


I was thinking about perfection, what that means. Complete clarity, total confidence, joy, peace, love. All the spiritual qualities we recognize as worthy, rolled into one experience. And I realized this was only a thought away. I could experience perfection in my consciousness.


So I sat at my desk and experienced it. In my thinking, in those moments, nothing was real to me but perfection. I cleared the decks, so to speak, mentally, and allowed in no thought that wasn't in line with perfection. As the idea of infinite perfect Mind, I am connected to that Mind. I'm made in Mind's image and likeness.


I found myself thinking, "I can think like God thinks. I can see like God sees. I can feel like God feels." Then this changed to, "I can think what God thinks. I can see what God sees. I can feel what God feels."


I'd always thought of perfection as something in the future, something we strive to attain. But the other day, I gained a deeper understanding that perfection is not in the future—it's now. At any moment, I can have a perfect thought, fill the space in my consciousness with perfection, and experience it fully. I can even carry this frame of mind into my daily life, a moment at a time.


Just sitting with my kids yesterday for the Thanksgiving holiday, playing some games and watching a movie, was perfection. I could look at them both and feel only joy. I could see them as God sees them, beloved, happy, intelligent, successful. It's like our whole futures together were right then.


Explore the perfect moment. It's there, waiting for you.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 11/27/2005 11:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,

I agree with your spiritual interpretation of the Star Trek movie. I have thought the same thing after seeing it. The perfect infinite moment. Be still and know that I am!

I love your site! I found it thought Wikipedia. I am a CSer living in California.

God bless!

 
At 11/28/2005 06:04:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

well, thanks for visiting! hope you come back often.

Laura

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home