Thursday, November 03, 2005

Judge righteous judgment

Had an inspiring talk over breakfast yesterday with a new business contact, George. He's deeply committed to the Christian walk, and has dedicated much of his life to it. I learned a lot from him.


One point that made me sit up was his take on judgment. We were talking about the Sermon on the Mount, and I mentioned the part I find hardest to do but most important, and that's "Judge not, that ye be not judged."


He replied that there is a kind of judgment that is appropriate. I was all ready for him to say you can point out someone else's sin or something, but what he said was, it's the judgment of discernment. We do need to use discernment when dealing with others.


He used the example of when he knows a friend is struggling with alcoholism, he doesn't then invite him out for a beer. It's not judging the person, but using judgment according to circumstances. And in being this kind of friend, he's more available to help the friend with his struggles.


This has given me an answer of sorts to another passage from the Bible that had always troubled me, "Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24). That always seemed to conflict with the Sermon on the Mount concept. But now, if I see judgment as discernment, I'm finding a resolution.


The Sermon on the Mount to me is telling me not to judge others. Jumping off from what George said, it occurs to me now that what I do need to judge is my own actions and thoughts relative to others. This is judging righteous judgment. I can use spiritual discernment to know what *I* should do and think.


And, wow, now that I look at it closely with new eyes, that is what the Sermon on the Mount is actually saying as well. The complete message at the beginning of Matthew 7 is telling us to judge ourselves first, before we can help anyone else. And that the point of all this evaluation is to help another, never to condemn them.


Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.


Now I can see, too, that that experience I wrote about before (Getting out of the way) was an example of a person judging righteous judgment about me. What a gift that continues to be! How powerful!


More from my talk with George tomorrow.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 11/04/2005 04:55:00 PM, Anonymous Franklin said...

Hello,

I understand there has to be some evaluation of people and circunstances for saftey and making proper decisions.

But, seems to me that judging with rightous judgement is to see that person or situation with spiritual vision to see it as good no matter what or how it appears to be, but as it actually is.

I will reap what I sow...
If I judge a person or situation as it appears to be or less than good. Somewhere along the line I will be judged in the same manner. If I judge as good, Somewhere along the line I will be judged the same.

I would rather be sowing good judgement about people and situations than sowing bad judgemnt.

It also helps keep my thoughts on the proper things.

Just some thoughts....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home