Monday, November 14, 2005

Good news

I was looking at all the news today and over the weekend, and hoping I'd be inspired to respond in some way, but was coming up dry. Then saw this email in my inbox, from Rev. Myron in Lake Charles, Louisiana. You'll remember Myron's church first committed to taking in and helping others right after Katrina, and then her town was itself hit with Rita. She's been continuing to help throughout.

We received a thank you letter from one of the families we were able to help. Because we could not have helped this family if so many had not sent their contributions, I want to share it with you all. I wish I had an email address for all of the generous people who have been helping. This is a thank you to everyone who sent, boxes of goods, money, and prayers.


"It is hard to express on paper the immense gratitude my family and I feel for the most generous gift you have given to us. We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love we have received from both friends and strangers. As I write strangers though I am reminded of what I have read in Myron’s sermons “we are all children of God” so I believe that makes none of us strangers and all of us family. With everything that is happening in this world today it is hard to tell your children that everything will be ok. Knowing that there are people in this world who are still so genuinely good makes it easier for me and my husband to look them in the eye and say that although bad things may happen, good will always triumph. I can’t remember how many times I have started this letter to try to express my thanks. ... I had read something in a book a few years ago that just reached out and grabbed me. I copied the saying down and hung it on the fridge. When my family and I returned after the storm and were trying to salvage what we could, I saw this piece of paper lying on the floor. Moving the debris, I saw it was my saying. I figured if it survived Rita it was meant to be read by me again. It said 'Be kind to everyone you meet, because you never know when you are meeting an angel and just not aware of it.' We have met an angel in each one of you. Thank you, having people like you in this world makes it a better, brighter place. With love and Gratitude, The Bates family."


I love the confidence of this parent, who now knows she can look her children in the eye and say everything will be all right because there will always be people of good will in the world, motivated by Love to give when people are in need. And I just want to be grateful for those people today, quietly going about doing good, blessing when they can, and giving in practical ways when the need arises. What would the world be like if we didn't do that?


Myron's footnote to her email had this from A Course in Miracles, it seems appropo:


...and go your way rejoicing in the endless love of God.

Love to all of you today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 11/14/2005 03:25:00 PM, Blogger HolyInheritance said...

Thank you for this wonderful post
what a joy to read!

And thank God for "A Course in Miracles"!


It teaches....GIVE....100%

 
At 11/14/2005 05:15:00 PM, Anonymous Rev. Veronika Birken said...

My friend Myron i s one of those "angels." A Course in Miracles says tha "I AM the light of the world" refers to YOU!
Does this not fit in with the messages in the St. John gospel?!
Peace, Veronika

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home