Friday, November 04, 2005

The gift of 8

I do love God so much. And He apparently loves me because He sends these gifts to me right when I need them.


Lately, I've been searching for something, you might call it community. I mean, I know many many people, and many spiritually minded people, and I'm talking about it all the time. Many people have been there for me when I needed to talk, and vice versa.


It's always one-on-one though, and what I've been opening my thought to is, What about a small group of people? What if there were a small group, say of about 8 or so, who I could count on and could be open with about what's broken in my life, and seek comfort and support?


Anyway, this seemed like a pipe dream. Then I talked with George this week (see yesterday's entry), and found myself revealing that this is something on my mind. And he challenged me. "What would be the best situation?" he asked. "How many people is the right number?"


I got confused for a second, and said, "Well, definitely not 50. That's too many to feel close to. And probably not 20. How about 8?" And he said, "How about one?"


George thinks that true spiritual connection has to happen one at a time, and you build from there. He now has a small group that he meets with, from all different denominations, but it took him several years of openness to bring that group together. They've known each other for years. It's not something someone could just burst in on.


He made me realize that God had been sending me the community I need one by one all along. I hadn't been grateful enough for that happening.


So all day yesterday I was thinking about this, cherishing all those who I've had transformative conversations with, recognizing that this was the food God was sending me. And how filling it's been!


Then last night the gift came. My church offered space to a neighboring church's women's Bible study group to meet while their building is under construction. I was to host this, to let them into the building and attend if I wanted.


I wasn't sure how it would go or what they would do, and at first felt quite out of place. But then the meeting started, and it was so filled with prayer and nurturing. It was transformative. I learned a lot about myself, and was touched by the stories of the others. It was spiritual food on the highest order.


And guess how many attended?


8.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 11/06/2005 07:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so good!!
being open to the idea and the idea comes. Rigth down to the exact number.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home