Monday, October 24, 2005

A Whole New Mind

Finally read a great book at the recommendation of my friend Mario. (Mario also wrote the editorial in this month's Christian Science Journal, on Fearless Living.)

The book he recommended to me is A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink, and once I started reading it I gulped it whole. *Great* book. Subtitling the book "Moving from the Informational Age to the Conceptual Age," Pink delineates six new "senses" we'll need in the coming economy: Design, Story, Symphony, Empathy, Play, Meaning. These are all considered "right-brain" attributes, and Pink recommends developing them now even as we developed the more "left-brain" analytical skills throughout the 20th century.


This was one of those books that resonated with me as things I already knew even as I was wrapping my mind around his startling conclusions. The book coincides with the studies I've read about the spiritual journey—that people want to go beyond just knowing *about* God (analyzing the details) and want to also *experience* God (synthesize the big picture). Pink's point is that you have to have *both.*

So today I'm playing with the question, How can Design, Story, Symphony, Empathy, Play and Meaning help us experience God? Interestingly, these elements seem to synch up pretty well with the synonyms of God that Mary Baker Eddy articulated.

  • Design (beyond just function to something emotionally engaging)
  • Soul
  • Story (not argument but persuasion and context)
  • Life
  • Symphony (getting all the parts to work together)
  • Mind
  • Empathy (beyond logic to understanding)
  • Love
  • Play (breaking out of too much seriousness, enjoy yourself!)
  • Spirit
  • Meaning (find a purpose beyond the accumulation of stuff)
  • Truth

Of course, you can mix and match these as you are inspired. The seventh synonym, Principle, is something I've always considered the "grand unification synonym" because it encapsulates the spiritual law that makes this all work. What's fun about Pink's book is at the end of every chapter about the six "senses," he includes resources and exercises to help you develop that attribute further. He maintains we all have these within us—as human beings, it's inherent in us. (Kinda coincides with the Christian Science teaching that we each have the innate capacity to reflect all the attributes of God.) I'll be spending time on these exercises, not only to improve myself but because they look like a lot of fun.

Experiencing God is the goal. I love it when I find tools that expand my view and encourage this experience to deepen.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home