Wednesday, October 19, 2005

To dream or not to dream

Franklin has been asking me some follow up questions about the dream metaphor, so I thought I'd write more about it today.

While I do believe this mortal seeming can be thought of as a dream, that doesn't mean I'm trying to write it all off entirely. I've experienced great good in this life, and I believe that good is real and permanent. The dream metaphor to me is a way of expressing the subjective nature of this state we're in. It's not fixed or substantive in and of itself, it morphs and evolves as our thought of it evolves.


Have you ever done something intentional in a dream? For example, saying in the middle of it, I don't like the way this is going, and you consciously change it? I've done this a few times that I can remember. One time in particular something was going on in my dream where I needed some rope, so I just looked down and conjured a rope in my hand. Very Matrix-y / Harry Potter.


There's really nothing to stop us doing this in the here and now, and Christian Science teaches how to learn it in degrees. We start with the perceived inharmonies in our lives, like moods or relationships or career, even illness or injury. We recognize these elements of inharmony as being dreamlike, and we change the dream with spiritual truth. Ultimately, I suppose, we vanquish all of materiality that way, although it may take awhile.


I'm still noodling on this; if you have any thoughts, please share them. I'd also like to include something from Mary Baker Eddy that might be helpful:


Is it correct to say of material objects, that they are nothing and exist only in imagination?

Nothing and something are words which need correct definition. They either mean formations of indefinite and vague human opinions, or scientific classifications of the unreal and the real. My sense of the beauty of the universe is, that beauty typifies holiness, and is something to be desired. Earth is more spiritually beautiful to my gaze now than when it was more earthly to the eyes of Eve. The pleasant sensations of human belief, of form and color, must be spiritualized, until we gain the glorified sense of substance as in the new heaven and earth, the harmony of body and Mind.

Even the human conception of beauty, grandeur, and utility is something that defies a sneer. It is more than imagination. It is next to divine beauty and the grandeur of Spirit. It lives with our earth-life, and is the subjective state of high thoughts. The atmosphere of mortal mind constitutes our mortal environment. What mortals hear, see, feel, taste, smell, constitutes their present earth and heaven: but we must grow out of even this pleasing thraldom, and find wings to reach the glory of supersensible Life; then we shall soar above, as the bird in the clear ether of the blue temporal sky.

To take all earth's beauty into one gulp of vacuity and label beauty nothing, is ignorantly to caricature God's creation, which is unjust to human sense and to the divine realism. In our immature sense of spiritual things, let us say of the beauties of the sensuous universe: "I love your promise; and shall know, some time, the spiritual reality and substance of form, light, and color, of what I now through you discern dimly; and knowing this, I shall be satisfied. Matter is a frail conception of mortal mind; and mortal mind is a poorer representative of the beauty, grandeur, and glory of the immortal Mind."

--Miscellaneous Writings, p. 86


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 10/19/2005 11:44:00 AM, Blogger porthos said...

Excellent description of the human experience. Even in a dream there are truths, or at least references to truths. The human experience is basically a distortion of the real experience and our work here is to clarify our perception of that reality. This is done by degrees and is inevitably successful because the truth is substantial and the distortions have only the power of deception going for them. One by one we see through them and eventually they fall away. The sooner the better!

 
At 10/19/2005 10:26:00 PM, Anonymous Franklin said...

Hello again,

Franklin has always been asking questions. When I was in school & growing up asking questions used to get me in trouble, now it either gets me ignored or I get some answers.

Thank you for answering.

What was this lady's age when she wrote the book Science and Health?
Also what happened to her?

 
At 2/19/2007 08:13:00 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

I love Mrs. Eddy's answer to that question. I was just searching for it online so I could forward it to a friend without having to type it all out, and Google brought me to your site. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home