Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Matter has no memory

Lately I've been doing some studying, contemplating and praying on healing pain, specifically that caused by trauma, with Christian Science. It's come up in my practice, and in the last few days I've learned some things I wanted to share here.


A time consuming but always fruitful exercise for me as a starting point is to read everything in Science and Health on the subject at hand. So, I started with every passage in which Mary Baker Eddy talks about pain. Many especially resonated with me, so I made a list of these passages. (If you'd like a copy, contact me and I'll send you one.)


Some of the more startling ideas that came out of this reading are these:

  • Can matter speak for itself?
  • We must rise superior to materiality, to the senses.
  • Spirit is the lawmaker. There are no material "laws," only beliefs; therefore there is no penalty for their infraction.
  • Pain cannot exist where there is no mortal mind to feel it.
  • We must take away mortal mind.
  • The only sensation is Soul. Soul, as the freedom from material sensation, is the opposite of pain.
  • Mortal mind is the belief that there is sensation in matter.


I spent some time with the idea that we must "take away mortal mind" (p. 479). I'd never really thought of actively doing that before. Take it away from where? Surely not from immortal Mind—it's not there to begin with. So we must be taking it away from human consciousness, separating it out and banishing it. Thinking about it that way made it clearer to me that the thoughts that are painful or negative or evil in any way are by definition mortal mind, and we can separate them out. What remains is human consciousness, which can be redeemed with Christ.


So I wrote this:

  • It is only mortal mind that experiences pain; but there is no mortal mind. Your consciousness is derived solely from Mind, God. No error there. Matter has no mind, can't remember for itself. Memory, trauma, are only in mortal mind, therefore non-existent. Place it there.


Then came the startling ah-ha:

  • Matter has no memory.

Our material, physical form can't remember anything, for it doesn't have a mind of its own. And without a mind, there can be no memory.

Dwelling with that brought me to these ideas:
  • Memory of trauma is only in mortal mind.
  • But mortal mind is mindless, nothingness, because it is opposite to divine Mind.
  • Trauma, therefore, is without anyone to remember it.
  • If you touch a hot stove, realize it and move, there is no need for the body to suffer. You already moved. No injury is necessary. Only mortal mind thinks there needs to be an injury as a result. And mortal mind can't think.
  • Mortal mind chases its own tail. Its conclusions are pointless, they go nowhere.
  • Divine Mind provides the only real conclusions.


And I remembered this statement from Science and Health: "Understanding is the line of demarcation between the real and unreal." We can separate out the mortal mind and have only the spiritual consciousness.


Here's a little chart I've been noodling on for years, see what you think:




Through this reasoning, I am much more confident about banishing pain as an outlaw, and some good results have occurred with the people I'm helping.

The bottom line is God is Love, and would cause no pain or injury to any of His dear children. And if He didn't cause it, it has no cause, for God alone is power.

Spiritual understanding allows us to live this truth, to feel God as the only cause and power, and to experience only what He has established.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 10/25/2005 11:25:00 AM, Anonymous Amanda Peters said...

Laura,
I played around with it some more and came up with:
591:25
WE MUST GET RID OF…
…nothing claiming to be something, for Mind is immortal;
…mythology;
…error creating other errors;
…a suppositional material sense, alias the belief that sensation is in matter, which is sensationless;
…a belief that life, substance, and intelligence are in and of matter;
…the opposite of Spirit, and therefore the opposite of God, or good;
…the belief that life has a beginning and therefore an end;
…the belief that man is the offspring of mortals;
…the belief that there can be more than one creator;
…idolatry;
…the subjective states of error;
…material senses;
…that which neither exists in Science nor can be recognized by the spiritual sense;
…sin;
…sickness;
…death.

 
At 10/25/2005 12:36:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

nice Amanda! from the definition of mortal mind, cool way to look at it.

 
At 10/25/2005 08:05:00 PM, Anonymous rev. Veronika Birken said...

Dear Laura,
Thank you for all the good work you are doing! You are a blessing!
Just some experiences to share in my healing work: I have found that 'pain' is mental/emotional. When I released the emotional pain, the so-called physical is often released too. I came therefore to see in reverse: 1. symptom 2. feeling
3. thought. These all belong on the left side of the chart you mentioned in another article - the ones I can erase because they are only based on the false belief in something besides God. I have also experienced that I need to be willing to release these beliefs. This is what it means to me letting go of mortal mind.
Peace, Veronika

 

Links to this post:

<< Home