Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Favorite scripture

Do you have a favorite scripture? I do.

I found mine the first time I read the Bible straight through. And I don't mean just the New Testament -- I mean all the way from Genesis through Leviticus, Numbers, Judges, Kings, the prophets, the whole thing.

After I'd read so much about all that the Children of Israel went through, Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David, Elijah, Jeremiah, to Jesus and all the disciples and Paul and his journeys, finally to John on Patmos having the final Revelation, this verse from the very tail end of the thing made me weep:


And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

--Revelations 22:17


It's almost the last verse of the Bible. And to me it's such an invitation, offering the friendship of the Spirit and the welcoming arms of the bride, along with the promise that anyone who wants it can have their thirst for Spirit assuaged with the water of life. Anyone who wants it. And I felt like that anyone.

Whenever I read it, it never fails to awaken in me a sense of hope and joy that all things are possible and all good awaits us. And that one of my jobs here on this earth is to invite as many people as possible to drink of the water of life as well.

What's your favorite?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 10/27/2005 01:28:00 AM, Anonymous Rev. Veronika Birken said...

Dear Laura,
What a good idea to think about what is nearest and dearest to us in the Bible!
For a long time now the closest to my heart have been to me the seven I AM sayings in the St. John gospel.

As I am writing this it comes to me that in Science & Health we have the seven synonyms for God and I wonder if the seven I AM sayings in the St John gospel might correspond?!
Peace, Veronika

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home