Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Everything's fair

What meaning of the word "fair" did you think of first when you read the title of this entry? "Fair" as in equitable, or "fair" as in beautiful?


This word came up for me in prayer the other day. I was trying to jump start some inspiration, so thought I would spend some time contemplating the names for God given in Science and Health. I didn't get beyond the first one, Principle, because the word "fair" popped right into my head.


The immediate connection fairness has with Principle is to be equitable, since Principle indicates God's law and is universal. But then I remembered a phrase from a hymn, "…the form divinely fair," talking about man being created as God's own child. This usage is more along the lines of being pleasing to behold.


You know how I like to combine concepts to expand my understanding of the infinite. Here were two concepts built right into the same word. Intrigued, I spent some time blending the two in my prayer, at first bouncing back and forth until I could conceptualize them as being one. Some words I wrote down:

  • righteous, beautiful, even, balanced, symmetrical, enfranchised, deserved, clean, clear, gracious, welcoming, accepting, non-exclusive, harmonious, established, self-enforcing, confident, whole, bright, cheerful, gleaming, radiant, perfect, constant, consistent, unchangeable, true, faithful.


I thought of sentences like, "It was a fair gift," fair to all parties and fair to behold.


And then I realized, being fair *is* being fair, if you know what I mean. As with all attributes of God, you can't have one without the other. God is one.


What can we do with that idea? I took it straight to spiritual treatment, acknowledging all that is fair and protesting against that which appears unfair. I did my best to see that any inharmony is inherently unfair because not of God. Harmony is fair, in both meanings. It belongs to all equally and is beautiful beyond measure.


So, everything's fair. What a caring, loving, intelligent God that created such a reality! And we benefit from it as we align ourselves with it.


Immortal Mind feeds the body with supernal freshness and fairness, supplying it with beautiful images of thought and destroying the woes of sense which each day brings to a nearer tomb.

--Science and Health


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home