Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Deserving healing

This story goes back a ways, all the way back to my college days.


I was a freshman, and living the life typical of the post-'70s, pre-AIDS era. In other words, at the time, I firmly believed in free love and that my body was mine to do with what I wanted.


But then I got the flu. I had a friend visiting who knew I had always relied on spiritual healing for my health and well being, so rather than just be miserable for a few days, I felt I had to prove to him that spiritual healing worked. So I called a Christian Science practitioner from the town where I grew up. She was great, I was healed, and all was well.


And I remember thinking, Huh. Even though I supposedly don't live by "the rules," I still was healed. I can't say that I learned anything mind-blowing from a spiritual point of view—I don't think I was ready for that. But my body responded to the treatment of the faithful practitioner, who of course knew nothing of my lifestyle and probably still thought of me as that nice little girl in Sunday School. Her purity of thought touched me and I was freed from the illness.


This left me with an indelible impression that God loves me no matter what, an impression that I believe helped me make the leap when my lifestyle caught up with me years later. Even though I thought He would be angry at me when I turned to Him, underneath I knew that God is Love. And it turned out He wasn't angry at all.


I believe there's nothing we can do humanly to "deserve" healing—healing comes to us *in spite* of our human failings. Healing comes because we are in truth spiritual beings and not this mortal personality at all. Healing is the breaking through of this truth, not a cooperation with mortality or an arbitrary suspension of mortal laws. Healing is the Christ made manifest in our lives.


We can't do anything to deserve that grace; we have it already as God's creation. Note that there are two different "we"s in the prior sentence—the "we" that is human, and the "we" that is image and likeness of God. Only one is true. Only one is real. Healing happens when the real overmasters the false, and becomes the only reality there is.


I'm grateful for that bout with the flu so many years ago and what I learned from it. Today I'm going to reach for healing again. "I" don't deserve it; but "I" already have it.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

4 Comments:

At 10/04/2005 10:39:00 AM, Anonymous kitty said...

very touching..i hv jus startd to do some soul-searching n also to turn to the divine...so de blog nicely fits in..thnk u for sharing de experience..
luv,
kitty.

 
At 10/04/2005 05:36:00 PM, Blogger porthos said...

RE: your statment:

"Note that there are two different "we"s in the prior sentence, the "we" that is human, and the "we" that is image and likeness of God. Only one is true. Only one is real. Healing happens when the real overmasters the false, and becomes the only reality there is."

I'd like to offer for your consideration a point about the above. As I understand it, it's not so much that there are two separate "we"s. To be human is not to be false or unreal. It is to seem to be a MIXTURE of the true and the false, the real and the unreal, matter and Spirit. So in every human "we" there is a real individual.

It's like wearing purple glasses. Everything may be tinged with purple but that doesn't make it unreal and false. It's just the purpleness that's false. Healing is the removal of some degree of error from our view when, as you say, the real becomes more apparent. Yet, as long as we're human, we're BOTH true and false - but not unreal. Hope that is clear.

 
At 10/05/2005 06:10:00 AM, Blogger ENS said...

God's love is so beautiful! Even in the midst of my sinful life at college when i turned my back on Him, He still lovingly wrapped His arms around me, healed me and made me brand new. We can't understand the love of God without a picture of how big both our guilt and God's forgiveness are. Jesus takes away the heavy burden of our past sin and frees us with a love like His. How amazing is that!?!

Have a wonderful day!

Love,
Esther

 
At 10/07/2005 09:26:00 PM, Blogger Franklin said...

Spiritual laws work when cooperated with even when you are not aware of the laws.

Gravity worked when I was a baby and didn't know about the law of gravity just as it works now when I do know about the law.

Thats what makes it a law. It can be depended on to work when cooperated with.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home