Monday, October 17, 2005

At a crossroads

Hope you had a great weekend.... mine was transformative.

I've found that visiting New York City never leaves me where it found me, and this trip was no exception. I have a lot to think about. What I wanted to share in here was the amazing experience of attending a storytelling workshop at my daughter's college as part of Parent's Weekend.

The instructor led us down a discussion of discovery, and as we talked, she kept expressing her amazement that each of these workshops is different than the others. She's been giving this workshop for years, yet they never cease to surprise her. We were the same in that we were different yet again.

After an opening discussion, she had us pair up with someone in the group we didn't know, and then listen to a story about their childhood for ten minutes each. Then, we got quiet and wrote our own version of the story we'd just heard. (The two stories from my pairing are below.)

What my partner picked up on is that once again, I find myself at a crossroads in my life. Anything could happen. I'm picking my way through the days one at a time, and the road is ever widening. It's both unnerving and exhilarating.

And it's times like these where trust becomes the most operative spiritual quality. Just trusting that today's guidance will lead to tomorrow's goals, even when I don't know what the goals are. Divine Mind has a plan, and everpresent Love is caring for me and mine throughout.

My love of stories has been rekindled through this weekend. Transformative stories, meaningful stories, moments of significance perhaps unrecognized at the time but indicative of direction or character. And, as this workshop showed, we all have these stories embedded in our lives. To me, they are the stories of spirituality revealing itself to us.

When I say to you, "Tell me a story about your childhood," what's the first thing that pops into your head? And then ask yourself, why that story? Why does it still have meaning for you today, especially today? Let your child self teach your grownup self today.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 10:21:00 PM, Anonymous Rev. Veronika Birken said...

Thanks Laura for sharing!
I did this little exercise then and there and came up with the picture of me as a small child lying in my cot. I had just woken and noticed that I had dirtied it yet again! I didn’t dare to call out for fear of punishment.
As I got quiet to let this picture reveal the lesson it contained for me, I received the insight that it is not safe to tell the truth because I get hurt.
From this I could see how I had developed the belief that I can’t trust people and that I need to defend myself.
The healing thought that followed was that all is Love. There is no danger in the Love. Everybody is only expressing Love and so am I.
Love, Veronika

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home