Friday, September 23, 2005

Make the world a better place

Note: new feature in the upper right column--subscribe to the blog.

One of my favorite magazines is Kids Discover. I've been subscribing for years, long past the time that my own kids have outgrown it.


The most recent issue is on Teddy Roosevelt, US President from 1901-1908 (among other things). There's a lot more to him than I knew. Check out these quotes:


"This country will not be a good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in."

and


"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety first instead of duty, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life."


Pretty relevant today! He also said, "No president has ever enjoyed himself as much as I"—bless him.


His ideas above make me stop and think. What is my obligation to those around me who do not live as well as I do? Do I love soft living too much? Do I put personal safety ahead of duty?


I believe in the virtues Roosevelt is espousing. Juxtapose these ideas with some from a female contemporary of his, Mary Baker Eddy (who was just as well known back then as he was):


Whatever it is your duty to do, you can do without harm to yourself.


If the soft palm, upturned to a lordly salary, and architectural skill, making dome and spire tremulous with beauty, turn the poor and the stranger from the gate, they at the same time shut the door on progress.


With one Father, even God, the whole family of man would be brethren; and with one Mind and that God, or good, the brotherhood of man would consist of Love and Truth, and have unity of Principle and spiritual power which constitute divine Science.


The rich in spirit help the poor in one grand brotherhood, all having the same Principle, or Father; and blessed is that man who seeth his brother's need and supplieth it, seeking his own in another's good.

(all from Science and Health)


To me, living a life of spiritual purpose has got to extend far beyond oneself. I know there have been times in my life where I had to concentrate on my own growth, to dig myself out of my own pit, so to speak. But the journey eventually widened to include helping others, feeling responsibility toward humanity in general, and making myself available to help where needed in whatever form presents itself.


Many are responding to this call even now as concern for the Gulf continues. Many thousands of thankless people work diligently every day to make the world better for a child, for a neighbor, for a community. As I ask for strength myself to do good today, I pray for these others, knowing that their loving intentions and good works fuel their efforts with spiritual power.


What can we do today to make the world a better place for us all to live in?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home