Thursday, September 08, 2005

Keep your violin in tune

Couple announcements before the posting:

  • Thanks to everyone who took the survey. Looks like the most popular idea is a regular newsletter with spiritual picks from the Internet. I know I put in the survey that this would be weekly, but now I'm thinking it will be once a month. I'll let you know how to sign up for that soon!
  • I'll then develop a "prayer alert" list for those who'd like to be notified of opportunities to pray for the world, so you'll be able to sign up for that as well. If you want to be on that list, let me know.
  • I also really really want to recommend this week's Bible Lesson on Substance. It's got great ideas about getting what we need every moment. I've been floating on it all week. You can read it online here.
  • Finally, I'd like everyone to know about Inspiration House, the brainchild and new endeavor of my friend Carol Hohle. I'd mentioned it before in connection with the quilts at Gee's Bend. Carol's invited me to do a few sessions on Christian Science, I'm very excited!

Today's is a bit of a follow up to yesterday's posting about prayer. It's another anecdote from Mary Baker Eddy about "keeping your violin in tune."

Christian Science employs what's known as "argument" in elevating thought to the plateau needed for healing prayer. This argument, or reasoning process, enables us to clarify what we think along the lines of logical conclusions based on correct premises.

For example, one correct premise is that Spirit is all. This implies that Spirit fills all space, and we can conclude from this that there is no spot where Spirit is not. Simple, logical, makes sense.

However, as many of us have seen, this is not enough. Just logically knowing the argument doesn't always bring healing, although it is a great tool for moving thought to where it needs to be for receptivity for healing. Reasoning paves the way, if you will, for insight to come. It removes resistance from the human mind, which needs to be willing to experience transformation. It persuades and convinces. So it's a good thing. But it's not the only thing.

Once, a visitor to Mary Baker Eddy's home in Pleasant View asked her how she healed the sick. Here's what Eddy said:

"I will tell you. I heal the same way today as I did when I commenced. My original way was instantaneous. The students did not understand any more than an English scholar could understand a foreign language without learning it. They therefore put it into their language. The argument used in healing is simply tuning-up. If your violin is in tune, it is unnecessary to tune it up. Keep your violin in tune."

So, while Eddy didn't need argument to heal, she saw that her students needed to be brought along, and she allowed argument to take its place in the healing work. Yet, one doesn't need argument all the time if one's "violin is in tune."

This is where moment-by-moment living of the truths of being becomes essential. If we're in the habit of thinking past the appearance of the senses, of accepting only harmony, of seeing only good in each other and God's government in events, we're closer to being in tune.

Yesterday, I was a bit out of tune. The images from the news and from some family situations were getting the better of me. So I fell back on argument, which was helpful, and got myself back to the mountaintop in prayer. And then, amazingly, I was able to help someone else when they called.

That's the point, really. Staying in tune so we're ready to help others. In this way, we can change the world.


-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home