Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Fly to the top

Please take this brief three-question survey about email newsletters from Laura's blog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Last day to take survey, would love to know your thoughts!]


There's just a lot of people to pray for today. In the news, in my personal life, in my profession, myself… Sometimes I wonder if my prayers are powerful enough to have an impact. I'm just little me, after all.

What is the role of faith and trust when there aren't enough hours in the day to actually consciously be praying about every detail of mortal existence?

And I think what I'm coming to is that one simply has to stay on the mountain top. It's going up and down the mountain that is so exhausting.

I'm remembering an explanation by Mary Baker Eddy about healing (I can't put my hands on it, though -- if it sounds familiar and you know where it is, please let tell me! [NOTE: see addition below]). She compares our prayer to a little bird. The little bird doesn't hop, hop, hop up the mountain in order to get the view it wants, it flies right up there.

Ever since I read that, years ago it seems, I've tried to make my prayers fly right to the mountaintop. To reach that clarity of vision right away, and then perhaps look back over the ground that needs healing from that height. What I had done before, climbing arduously up the metaphysical mountain by reasoning my way to the heights, did get me there, but it was harder.

So today as I begin my prayer time, I'll take to heart that image of soaring to the mountaintop. That point of view calms me and puts the rough spots of mortal existence into perspective. From that vantage point, all is harmony, all is glory.

And perhaps I'll make a dent in the prayer agenda.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later Edit:

Here's that section from Irving Tomlinson's book Twelve Years with Mary Baker Eddy:

In the early days of her healing work Mrs. Eddy sought a clearer understanding of the modus operandi, that she might teach it to others. She said of this early experience that when she started to heal by argument her perplexity began. Before this, her silent, earnest, uplifted heart to God wrought instantaneous healing, and a sweet peace was hers. Then she came to see that mortal mind resulted in phases of matter, and the question of overcoming these phases presented itself. The answer was through understanding prayer to the divine Mind. Such prayer establishes man's oneness with his Maker. This is God's way,who knows nothing of matter.Her perplexity vanished and she saw clearly the significance of the admonition, "Flee as a bird to your mountain."

She went on to say that the little bird does not hop his way to the mountain; he flies straight and swift as an arrow. So in our healing, if the patient is reached through divine Love, the discordant condition "will vanish into its native nothingness like dew before the morning sunshine." Jesus said to the man possessed, "Come out of him, and enter no more into him." God "spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast." This is true healing without relapse or reversal and it stands fast.

-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 07:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Laura,
Thank you for sharing so beautifully that to fly like a bird straight to the top of the mountain of prayer is the way to go. This made me think of the coming down experience which can be so fruitful like:
Moses came down from the mountain top carrying what?!
Jesus came down from the mountain top bringing with him what?!
I come down from the mountaintop of prayer bringing with me the experience that the Kingdom of Heaven is within me, within my brother and is everything and everywhere - in fact it is All-in-all. Amen.
Peace, Veronika

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home